Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine

Default Please help, still having setup problems-Word 2003

First, JoAnn, thank you sooo much for the tip about the email. I needed it
spelled out, but now I get it!

Graham, I don't have Norton. I had too many problems over the years because
of it. I use AVG, if I'm remembering the name correctly; my daughter
recommended it. I had problems galore with Norton and McAffy on all of my
computers over the years.

I am still fit to be tied with Word 2003 (on Win XP). Everytime I start
word, if I watch carefully, I see a ghost of a setup dialog box appear &
disappear so fast you can't be sure you saw it.

The problem first developed on day when I tried to use Shift+F7 to access
the thesaurus. I got a Setup Error and realized the program was froze. If I
try to click in word, if hear ding, ding with every click.

Furthermore, I lost all of my fonts. When I try to choose/change a font, my
choices are the alphabet: A, B, C, and so forth down a vertical list where
the font names should appear.

I went into add/delete programs & clicked to fix it, but with no luck at
all. So I removed Office 2003 and reinstalled it off of my original/new
disk. I have Office Professional Edition 2003. It still won't work!

I have never, ever uninstalled a program or suite, and had the same problem
after reinstalling. I don't know what to do. I teach and I teach computers.
I use Office a lot. I make up my own handouts, presentations, templates,
etc. for students and staff. This is not good, especially after I paid to
have the best I could--I thought.

I am completely frustrated and at a total loss and would be very, very
appreciative of any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Hi Elaine -

If you are able to get Word running at all, go to the Help Menu & select the
Detect & Repair feature. You should have your install disk available when you
do this.

It is also possible that you may have a defective install disk. Has been
known to happen.

Regards |:)

"Elaine" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine

I am at work and then have a meeting afterwards, but I will try that as soon
as I get home. I'll pray I don't have to ask you what to do if I've received
a bad install disk. Have a great day!

Elaine

"Elaine" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Elaine wrote:
First, JoAnn, thank you sooo much for the tip about the email. I
needed it spelled out, but now I get it!

Graham, I don't have Norton. I had too many problems over the years
because of it. I use AVG, if I'm remembering the name correctly; my
daughter recommended it. I had problems galore with Norton and
McAffy on all of my computers over the years.

Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be deselected in the AV
program e.g. in it may be necessary to unregister the calling DLL by
running the following command line from Windows Start Run
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

http://www.gmayor.com/where_are_my_fonts.htm

I went into add/delete programs & clicked to fix it, but with no luck
at all. So I removed Office 2003 and reinstalled it off of my
original/new disk. I have Office Professional Edition 2003. It
still won't work!

I have never, ever uninstalled a program or suite, and had the same
problem after reinstalling. I don't know what to do. I teach and I
teach computers. I use Office a lot. I make up my own handouts,
presentations, templates, etc. for students and staff. This is not
good, especially after I paid to have the best I could--I thought.

It should rarely if ever be necessary to re-install Word as most problems
are external to Word - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm