Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mkate

Default Setting a Language for a Template

Hello again,

My Word question this time is related to setting a language for a template.

I have researched the database of questions and it looks like there is not a
quick way to change the default for all the styles in a template from one
language to another. Is this correct?

The styles in my template are not based on Normal but on another "default
style" set for my template. From what I have read, it appears that I can
change the default language for the "base" style and that will change the
language for all other styles based on that "root" style. I would then have
to check all the styles to see what they were originally based on and then
change that base style. Since there are many, many styles in my template I
thought I could save some time if there was a "global" way to change language
settings for all styles in a template.

As always, thank you for your valuable feedback.

--
Mkate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Mkate

Mkate wrote:
My Word question this time is related to setting a language for a template.

I have researched the database of questions and it looks like there is not a
quick way to change the default for all the styles in a template from one
language to another. Is this correct?

The styles in my template are not based on Normal but on another "default
style" set for my template. From what I have read, it appears that I can
change the default language for the "base" style and that will change the
language for all other styles based on that "root" style. I would then have
to check all the styles to see what they were originally based on and then
change that base style. Since there are many, many styles in my template I
thought I could save some time if there was a "global" way to change language
settings for all styles in a template.

Well, if it's your own template, then you might have a clear idea on the
style hierarchy and dependencies. You might have one or more "families"
and topmost base styles. If you change these, and the children styles
don't specify a different language beforehand, then there is no real
need to check them after the change.

You could certainly loop through the whole style collection with VBA,
check whether you've looking at a paragraph style, and change the
language, if you don't really trust your own setup. :-)

Try one of the .vba groups if you need code-oriented advice.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS