Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flowers

Default Help Norton scan of word document crashing ststem big time

Every time I attempt to open a word file it starts blinking and locks up the
computer whilst being scanned by nortons.
ctrl+alt+del no response
restart : flashes a board "closing dllhost.exe" does not close asks close
now click yes and nothing happens.
Then try shut down, no response.
Finally have to hit the restart button.
when I restart word it wants to open in safe mode.

Search reveals 4 files three are legitimate and one DLLHOST.EXE-1EB8AF26.pf
located in c\WINDOWS|Prefetch has no info and appears unsigned on properties
and opens with unknown application.
furthermore it appears to be somehow linked to the access files
Is this the culprit????
and where did it come from as I keep verry tight security on the beast.
If I delete this Will this fix the problem or make things worse??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Turn off the Office Plug-In in Norton. This will not hurt anything and will
make Word work closer to how it is supposed to work.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"flowers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flowers

Thanks for that.
will have to think about that and will try as a last resort as the norton
settings have not been causing conflict prior to the date that dll appeard to
have been installed.

I still have the problem of that DLLHOST.EXE-1EB8AF26. and I suspect it is
the culprit as it is unsigned and of unknown origin, opens with unknown
application, and is unsigned.

It appears to come into effect when connected to the web because if I open
the file after rebooting and have not connected to the web there is no
problem. the nortons scan zipz through in a couple of seconds.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The norton plug-in causes all sorts of grief and the extent of that grief
varies with Norton's own updates. You need to disable the office plug-in.
It's not a 'last resort' but a 'first resort'.

DLLHOST.EXE is a Windows system file see (eg)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=198891