Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Microsmith Microsmith is offline

Default FORMTEXT field erases contents when updated with F9

I have a Word document with several text form fields. The document also
includes a few formula fields. When I try updating all the fields by
selecting CTRL+A and F9 (to update the formulas), the contents are erased in
all the text form fields. The problem occurs in Word 2003 & Word 2007. I
know I can lock the form, but that doesn't address the problem because I
still need to update the formula fields. Short of locking and unlocking
individual fields which would be time consuming, is there a work around?
This looks like a bug to me.

Thanks in advance

Brad
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing is by design: In an unprotected form document, you
can use Select All and F9 to reset the fields.

To make proper use of your form, set the "Calculate on exit" option for the
form fields (in the Text Form Field Properties dialog box) and then protect
the document; that way, you can insert data in the fields and have Word
calculate results automatically.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP