Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
satin satin is offline

Default In equations, can Greek letters be non-italic by default?

In the new Word 2007 equation editor, letters are always in italics by
default. For Latin characters this default is appropriate, but for Greek
letters it is unattractive. (In LaTeX, Greek letters are not set in italics.)

Is there a way to make the default format for Greek letters non-italics,
while keeping the current default for Latin letters?

(I tried to change it using the Math AutoCorrect dialog box, but there I saw
that the Greek letter macros are not italicized. It must be that the
"context" into which they are inserted is causing the Greek letters to be
italicized.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Satin,

It depends. If you have math autocorrect turned on then the greek characters there will behave as shown in that table (Alt, T, A)
where they're used for functionallity rather than as 'text'.

If you want to type individual Greek letters in as plain text characters rather than as variables/functions/operators then put the
character in quotes, whether by typing, using Insert Symbol (insert the symbol between double quotes) or Symbol conversion.

For example a Greek Sigma as text can be entered within an Equation object (Alt=) by typing
"03A3
then Alt+X
then the other " then a space, punctuation or operator.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP