Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Richard Balfour

Default Master document with different header and footer for subdocuments

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with using Word 2003 to create a master document that
contains several sub-documents.

I have about 7 sub-documents in Word. Each document is set with the
following Page Setup - Layout:

Headers and footers
-----------------------
- Different odd and even
- Different first page

Borders and shading
------------------------
- Apply to: This section, First page only

Each sub-document contains a first page with the Chapter name. No header or
footer is seen on the first page. The subsequent pages have even and odd
headers and footers. The even headers contain the chapter name (from the
first page) and the even footer contains the title of the book with a page
number. The odd footer contains the name of the author with a page number.

When I create a master document with all the linked sub-documents, I lose
all the headers, footers and first page formatting that was laid-out in each
sub-document.

Question

Is there a way to create a master document that links the sub-documents in
such a way that the individual first pages, headers and footers are
preserved? I've heard of using macros to do this but I'm not sure how this
is done, if it *can* be done.

Thanks for your help!

Richard Balfour