Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Default OCR program ?

Using Win XP & Word: I want to scan some text [typed page] to my computer,
thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the page size, margins,
etc. Can someone suggest an OCR program which you have found to be
satisfactory - appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Most scanners already come with OCR software.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jay" wrote in message
Using Win XP & Word: I want to scan some text [typed page] to my
computer,
thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the page size,
margins,
etc. Can someone suggest an OCR program which you have found to be
satisfactory - appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So does Office (I don't know how well it works). Do you get that if
you only buy Word?

(In Office2003 its' "Document Scanning" under "Tools" in the All
Programs Office menu.)

"Jay" wrote in message

Using Win XP & Word: *I want to scan some text [typed page] to my
computer,
thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the page size,
margins,
etc. *Can someone suggest an OCR program which you have found to be
satisfactory *- appreciate it.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I don't know if you do or not. I know I've used ODI for OCR software but
have had better results with the software that came with my scanner.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jay" wrote in message

Using Win XP & Word: I want to scan some text [typed page] to my
computer,
thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the page size,
margins,
etc. Can someone suggest an OCR program which you have found to be
satisfactory - appreciate it.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The Microsoft Office Document Imaging which is included with recent versions
of Office (but not installed by default) is quite satisfactory for reading
text only.

As JoAnn says you should have some form of OCR software included in the
software package that came with your scanner, though I have been less
enthusiastic with the results from the OCR software included with scanners
of my acquaintance than is JoAnn. It could be that different software is
supplied in different regions.

If you want something better than this, then the best I have used by quite a
stretch is Finereader http://www.abbyy.com/, which has been pretty good from
at least version 5 and is currently at version 9.0 (though personally I am
using version 8).

There is no 'perfect' OCR. All will require some user involvement to get the
best results, particularly with complex document formatting, but on a simple
typed page, it can provide 99.9% accuracy - or better.

Jay wrote:
Using Win XP & Word: I want to scan some text [typed page] to my
computer, thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the
page size, margins, etc. Can someone suggest an OCR program which
you have found to be satisfactory - appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The one time I used the OCR that came with the HP PhotoSmart all-in-
one, it worked pretty well. (That was before I knew about the one
included in Office.)

On Jun 30, 12:51*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Jay wrote:
Using Win XP & Word: *I want to scan some text [typed page] to my
computer, thence to be copied to Word, so that I can then set the
page size, margins, etc. *Can someone suggest an OCR program which
you have found to be satisfactory *- appreciate it.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was pleasantly surprised with the version of OmniPage or whatever it was
that came with my HP scanner. I've used it only once or twice for simple
text, but it was a vast improvement over the software that had come with a
previous scanner. The only time I tried to use it (on very clear 12-pt TNR
plain text), I saved a copy of the result just because it was so ludicrously
useless.