Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fjb

Default How to edit Word 00 docs on new PC with Word 03 preloaded?

1. I transfered some Word 2000 documents from my desktop to my laptop, using
a USB flshdrive.

2. The laptop came with Office/Word 2003 preloaded. I was able to access,
open and read the 2000 documnets, but I was 'not allowed' to edit or change
them.

3. Any easy fixes for a not so computer literate person? All sugestions
greatly appreciated.

Thanx

fjb
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Has the software on the laptop been activated? Perhaps it was a free trial
copy that is past its "use by date"

If none of the above apply, see the article "I keep getting files that I am
working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only"
at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

--
Hope this helps.