Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

Default Merged document has extra blank page at end

Fairly simple Form Letter merge using a standardized form from the state. I
have at least 20 of these working in different offices. But on this one an
extra blank page came out at the end. It does this if I have the doc open in
Word (2000) and click the Check Merge button. So I know it is not the data
from a merge in my system. Anyway I though it might be headers and footers or
just too many lines on the last page, but I have plenty of room left on the
page and if I print the page by itself, it does not go over. Oh, I just
remembered! on this page the footer is wrapped. In other words, the footer
says something like "Dwcc001" on the far left and "Page NN" on the far right.
But on the blank page, it shows both on the far left with the page number
below the Doc name. I don't know if this means anything. If I look at the
last page in Header/Footer mode, It also says "Section 6" above the footer
box on the far left. I am ready to hear any and all ideas about how to get
rid of this extra blank page.

Thanks for looking,

Free Agent99
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is your mail merge main document set up to be double-sided, or are any of
the sections set up to start on an odd page, or an even page?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Free Agent99" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

The document is single sided. I don't know how sections work, but I see that
the header and footers show the following:
Page 1 header "First Page Header- Section 1"
Page 2 header "Even Page Header - Section 1"
Page 3 header "First Page Header - Section 2"
Page 4 header "Even Page Header - Section3"
Page 5 header "Odd Page Header - Section4 Same as
previous"

The footers are exactly the same except is says Footer instead of Header.

After the test merge, the 6th page appears and shows:
"Even Page Header - Section 6 Same as
Previous"

Even I can tell that this is not right, and I know nothing about footers or
headers.

Thanks for looking at this.

Tod Brannen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With the Mail merge Main Document open, try going into Word File-Page
Setup-Layout (that's the place to go in Word 2003 - off the top of my head
I foget for Word 2000) and ensure that the Section Start for each Section is
"New Page". You /probably/ have at least one that says either Even Page or
Odd page. If you have any Sections marked as "Continuous", leave them alone.

Not sure that will do it but it's what I would do next.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

wow. That did not fix it. It had some sections where the check were in Odd
and/or even. I changed the doc to un check those and clicked apply to entire
document. However, i now see the first two pages are both Section 1 for
Header and footer. And the blank page at the bottom is Section 6. I think if
I had section 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for the 5 pages I would be ok. How can I change
the two section 1s into section 1 and section 2 ?

Thanks,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How can I change
the two section 1s into section 1 and section 2 ?

In essence, you have to put a new section break (Insert|Break) at the end of
page 1.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

Peter,

Thanks, but that did not work. I also noticed that the footer on the blank
page at the end shows PAGE 4. Seems to me it should be PAGE 6. All the other
pages are correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tod Brannen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

At this point I'm having difficulty visualising what you are seeing. Are you
able to email me a copy of the document (if you can find my e-mail address
you can despam it by removing the KillmapS)?. Or can I downloading your
starting point document from somewhere?

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

Peter,
I have sent the document and data source by email.

Thanks,

Tod Brannen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Free Agent99 Free Agent99 is offline

Peter,

Thanks - your suggestion to reduce the font size of the last paragraph
marker on the bottom of the last page, did the trick.

Tod Brannen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Extra Blank Pages when printing Merged Document StephenW Mailmerge 2 January 23rd 08 08:47 PM
extra blank page B.W. New Users 4 October 16th 07 02:59 AM
How do I remove an extra blank page at document end? janragan Page Layout 3 September 26th 07 11:18 PM
How do I remove a blank extra page at the end of a word document . emalo Page Layout 4 February 16th 05 11:40 PM
how do i delete a extra blank page in my Word document. It keeps . Waterinstructor1 Page Layout 4 January 11th 05 11:16 PM