Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PL PL is offline

Default Height of cells

I am new to drawing tables in Word. Using Word 2003.

1) I want to insert a line citing the source of the table, but after writing
this line it is 1 spacing below the table, how do I make it directly beneath
the table?

2) I have a table with each cell containing nembers (except for the top
row), what is the acceptable height for each cell that I should use? I tried
the "Distribute columns & rows evenly" but the height of cell become rather
large. How do I standardise the height for all cells in this table?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

1. Is it really one line beow the table? Turn on Non-printing characters
(Ctrl+Shft+8 or the ¶ icon) and see if there is a paragraph mark (¶) between
the text and the table. It sounds as though there will not be as you would
have deleted it before now. Probably the text has some Space Before, as part
of it Paragragh attributes that is forcing it lower than you want, go to
Format, Paragragh and take this setting down to 0.
2. There is no real "acceptable" row height, it really does depend on what
you are doing. Table, Properties, Row, Specific height, I would not have this
checked. And I think your problem with balancing the row height is the same a
question 1, they text you are using has Space Before and/or After that is
affecting the row height. I would change the Space BEfore and after to the
same "pt". Tip: you can type in a smaller amount than the preset options, I
tend to have the Space Before and After both at 2pt and the line spacing at
single, combined with the Row height specific unchecked this tends to balance
the table out.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"PL" wrote:

I am new to drawing tables in Word. Using Word 2003.

1) I want to insert a line citing the source of the table, but after writing
this line it is 1 spacing below the table, how do I make it directly beneath
the table?

2) I have a table with each cell containing nembers (except for the top
row), what is the acceptable height for each cell that I should use? I tried
the "Distribute columns & rows evenly" but the height of cell become rather
large. How do I standardise the height for all cells in this table?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PL PL is offline

Hi

1) Probably the text has some Space Before, as part
of it Paragragh attributes that is forcing it lower than you want, go to
Format, Paragragh and take this setting down to 0.

I solved it by doing what you suggested.

2) they text you are using has Space Before and/or After that is
affecting the row height. I would change the Space BEfore and after to the
same "pt". Tip: you can type in a smaller amount than the preset options, I
tend to have the Space Before and After both at 2pt and the line spacing at
single, combined with the Row height specific unchecked this tends to balance
the table out.

The text in my cells are numbers, so I can't seem to find the Paragraph
attributes or the Space Before and/or After.

Thank you

"PL" wrote:

I am new to drawing tables in Word. Using Word 2003.

1) I want to insert a line citing the source of the table, but after writing
this line it is 1 spacing below the table, how do I make it directly beneath
the table?

2) I have a table with each cell containing nembers (except for the top
row), what is the acceptable height for each cell that I should use? I tried
the "Distribute columns & rows evenly" but the height of cell become rather
large. How do I standardise the height for all cells in this table?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

1. Glad you got this solved.
2. Regardleass whether they are figures or letters, select the text, Format,
Paragragh, change the Space Before and After to 2pt (even if they are blank)
and the line spacing to Single.
--
Hope this helps
DeanH