Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] acroson0623@gmail.com is offline

Default How to Adjust the Height of a Footer in MS Word

I want to change the amount of space allocated to the footer in Word 2010 so
that I can fit more text on the page.

If I open headers and footers and click in the header, I can move the dashed
blue line defining the header height by clicking in the header area and then
pushing the bottom end of the white bar in the vertical ruler up or down to
move the dashed blued line that defines the space allocated to the header.

If I push on the top end of the white bar in the vertical ruler of the footer the text moves up and down (not the dashed blue line defining the footer height). The only time the blue line moves is if I drag it up, thereby, increasing the size, which is the opposite of what I am trying to accomplish.

Is the height of the footer a default and not able to be lowered so that more text can fit in the body?? It seems silly to me that it would be but after doing a LOT of digging and staring at my document to no avail I will see what the rest of the world thinks!

Thank you,
Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word, headers and footers reside inside the top and bottom margins,
respectively. Within that area you can set header and footer margins.
For more, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/HeaderFooter.htm.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to Adjust the Height of a Footer in MS Word

Hi Alex,

Adjusting the height of a footer in MS Word is actually quite simple. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Double-click on the footer area to open the footer section.
  2. Once you're in the footer section, you should see a dashed blue line that defines the space allocated to the footer. Click on this line to select it.
  3. Once the line is selected, you can drag it up or down to adjust the height of the footer. As you drag the line, you'll see the height measurement change in the vertical ruler on the left-hand side of the screen.
  4. Once you've adjusted the height to your liking, you can start typing in the footer area to add text.

If you find that dragging the blue line isn't working for you, you can also adjust the footer height using the Page Setup dialog box. Here's how:
  1. Click on the Page Layout tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group to open the Page Setup dialog box.
  3. In the Page Setup dialog box, click on the Layout tab.
  4. Under the Headers and Footers section, you'll see options for setting the distance from the edge of the paper to the header and footer. You can adjust these values to increase or decrease the height of the footer.
  5. Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.

Word 2007 Footer Height Jim Microsoft Word Help 8 July 25th 17 05:20 AM
How do you adjust Word table row height using the mouse? Mckenna13 Tables 1 August 14th 09 10:57 PM
Adjust Row Height StefanieK Tables 1 April 4th 08 06:33 PM
I can't adjust the size, width and height of my rows and columns. sheana New Users 2 January 7th 08 07:24 PM
Height of Footer Nono Page Layout 1 March 10th 07 03:09 PM