Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maryj

Default Documents open slowly

The department of a client recently upgraded to WinXP/Office 2003 from
Win2K/Office 2K. Since the upgrade, opening a 1 page document (~28 kb) can
take 2-3 minutes. The file is based on a template that is on a shared drive.
The template has some numbering and tables in it. Turned off background saves
and fast saves, tried changing default printer to local printer, deleted temp
files from C drive - no change. About 350 users are all experiencing the same
thing.

-- maryj
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

This has to do with Word trying to find the template. Open the document (and
put up with the wait).
Tools Templates and Add-Ins...
Reattach the document to its template (the box to update styles should _not_
be checked).
Resave the document. It will now open regularly.

If this is the case with many documents a more global solution is called
for.

First, if you are using documents as the basis for new documents (open and
Save As) you should be saving your basic documents as templates and creating
new document based on them. For more on the different kinds of templates,
tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Second, there is a MS knowledge base article on this but I don't have access
to it at this time. If you need it, write back and I or someone else will
supply it.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"maryj" wrote in message
The department of a client recently upgraded to WinXP/Office 2003 from
Win2K/Office 2K. Since the upgrade, opening a 1 page document (~28 kb) can
take 2-3 minutes. The file is based on a template that is on a shared
drive.
The template has some numbering and tables in it. Turned off background
saves
and fast saves, tried changing default printer to local printer, deleted
temp
files from C drive - no change. About 350 users are all experiencing the
same
thing.

-- maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Foley

Could this be the same problem I have been experiencing? For over a week now
I have been losing my mind with this problem: it takes about 1-2 minutes to
open any Office doc (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) from Windows Explorer. Being so
global an issue, I wouldn't think this is a template issue. What global issue
could this be?

"maryj" wrote in message
The department of a client recently upgraded to WinXP/Office 2003 from
Win2K/Office 2K. Since the upgrade, opening a 1 page document (~28 kb) can
take 2-3 minutes. The file is based on a template that is on a shared
drive.
The template has some numbering and tables in it. Turned off background
saves
and fast saves, tried changing default printer to local printer, deleted
temp
files from C drive - no change. About 350 users are all experiencing the
same
thing.

-- maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

It isn't the same problem as far as I know. Sorry.

I would suggest that rather than tagging onto the end of this thread you
create a new post and put it (one post, not copies) in the
word.application.errors and in an appropriate newsgroup for each of the
other applications. If you don't know how to cross-post so that a single
posting shows up in multiple newsgroups, ask.

In your post, give specific examples, the version of each application, and
information as to your network and operating system setup.
--

"maryj" wrote in message
The department of a client recently upgraded to WinXP/Office 2003 from
Win2K/Office 2K. Since the upgrade, opening a 1 page document (~28 kb)
can
take 2-3 minutes. The file is based on a template that is on a shared
drive.
The template has some numbering and tables in it. Turned off background
saves
and fast saves, tried changing default printer to local printer,
deleted
temp
files from C drive - no change. About 350 users are all experiencing
the
same
thing.

-- maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561 "Documents that
have attached templates take a long time to open in Word 2002 and
in Word 2003".