Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jan Jan is offline

Default Editing bookmarks in footer on last page only

Hi,

I'm developing a template in Word 2003 that requires a footer containing
bookmarks on the last page only.

I have created an expression as follows in the footer:-

{if {page}={numpages} "text goes here"
bookmark addressline1
bookmark addressline2
bookmark addressline3}

I'm adding the bookmarks and text in the above formula which is working fine
when the document is created, but when I need to change the values in the
bookmarks in the footer, (using VBA called from a button on the toolbar), I
am not able to get at and update the original bookmarks as it seems to have
merged them all together somehow.

Is it possible to do what I want with Word 2003?

Thanks for your help.

Jan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Doesn't ALT+F9 display your field again so you can modify the bookmarks?

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Jan" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm developing a template in Word 2003 that requires a footer containing
bookmarks on the last page only.

I have created an expression as follows in the footer:-

{if {page}={numpages} "text goes here"
bookmark addressline1
bookmark addressline2
bookmark addressline3}

I'm adding the bookmarks and text in the above formula which is working
fine
when the document is created, but when I need to change the values in the
bookmarks in the footer, (using VBA called from a button on the toolbar),
am not able to get at and update the original bookmarks as it seems to
have
merged them all together somehow.

Is it possible to do what I want with Word 2003?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jan Jan is offline

Hi Dawn,

Sorry I should have explained a bit better.

The document I have created is a template, when I create docs based on this
template the footer formula works fine. However, when I try to edit the
document created from the template, using a VBA macro called from a button on
the toolbar, the footer bookmarks have merged together and I can't seem to
access them separately anymore.

If I do an Alt F9 I can see them as separate bookmarks, but the values held
in them have merged together somehow. Each bookmark now contains all of the
values from each of the originals, and updating one of them updates all.

Very strange!

Thanks

Jan

"Jan" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm developing a template in Word 2003 that requires a footer containing
bookmarks on the last page only.

I have created an expression as follows in the footer:-

{if {page}={numpages} "text goes here"
bookmark addressline1
bookmark addressline2
bookmark addressline3}

I'm adding the bookmarks and text in the above formula which is working
fine
when the document is created, but when I need to change the values in the
bookmarks in the footer, (using VBA called from a button on the toolbar),
am not able to get at and update the original bookmarks as it seems to
have
merged them all together somehow.

Is it possible to do what I want with Word 2003?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Yes, that is very strange indeed. Bookmarks generally hold from template to
document. I'd be curious what else the VBA might be doing that could have
created the scenario that you are describing.

--

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jan Jan is offline

Hi Dawn,

I've found out what was going wrong.

I've recently inherited template development and throughout all of the
templates we use each time a bookmark is updated, through a VBA macro, it is
deleted and re-inserted with the new text.

This appears to work elsewhere, albeit it seems like a bit of a peculiar
solution, but in the footer in a field code it gets a bit confused. If I just
amend the bookmark without deleting it then it all works fine.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Jan

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

page numbers for word 2007 CJ Rhoads Microsoft Word Help 7 July 27th 06 02:52 PM
Header and Footer MoPete99 Microsoft Word Help 20 July 25th 06 11:07 AM
footer: Page 2 of 3 & 3 of 3 when typing page 1 of 3 Ms. May2006 Page Layout 1 May 12th 06 05:48 PM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Insert a table in the footer of the last page. Kris Page Layout 5 October 24th 05 10:00 AM