Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Littlebear Littlebear is offline

Default Question: Section Breaks/Numbering

I have a large document pre-formatted with styles/numbering.

I.E., 8., 8.1, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 9., 9.1, 9.1.1, 9.1.2, etc.

I need to divide my document into parts in order to have specific
individuals edit their portion, then gather this info back and incorporate it
back into one major document.

I have continuous section breaks before and after each part in order to, if
my thinking is correct, retain formatting.

However, when I copy the "9's" part and copy into a new document, the
numbering reverts back to 1., 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc. as opposed to the 9.,
9.1, 9.1.1, 9.1.2, etc.

Is there an each method in which to copy and retain the numbering a well?
What am I missing?

Hope this makes sense....

Thank you.
Littlebear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Littlebear Littlebear is offline

No, but I did find a work-around.

I went into the style box, right clicked, modify, format, numbering, then
set the numbering to start at X (x being whatever section I was trying to
separate into independent Word documents 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). Okay twice, and
voila the numbers were correct. They even maintained their integrity when I
copied the entire edited block back into my original document.

Hm, now the test will be when all 8 sections are edited by people who,
hopefully, won't mess with the styles structure and incorporate it back.

Wish me luck!

Thanks Suzanne!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is probably a recipe for disaster (especially if you ever need to
insert another chapter). If you have set up the outline numbering correctly
(see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html) and
carefully used the same styles in each portion, they should show 1, 1.1,
1.1.1, etc., in any given file but all work together when you combine them
and update the numbering (assuming that it's all part of the same list,
which is linked to these styles).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the numbering not straighten itself out if you Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Delete section breaks at end of word document Chris O. Page Layout 7 October 4th 06 09:24 AM
How do I delete a section break completely? JFL Microsoft Word Help 6 September 14th 06 05:50 PM
Features godmongo Microsoft Word Help 20 July 22nd 06 07:37 AM
Section Breaks Question: Inserts a Continuous section break - why? Wesley45 Microsoft Word Help 3 November 7th 05 09:40 PM
How do I create continuous section breaks within columns? Travis Bryant Page Layout 3 September 30th 05 12:47 PM