Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robyn Robyn is offline

Default Unit labels on page

I write operations manuals for a manufacturing company, and our manuals are
dividied into 9 units. I would like to be able to print the Unit number
vertically on the edge of the page so that when a user "flips through" the
manual, the Unit number would show on the edge of each page. Unit 1 would be
placed at the upper portion of the page, Unit 2 lower, Unit 3 still lower,
etc. and Unit 9 would be towards the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See he
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/ThumbIndex.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Calculate in advance the vertical position and size of each unit label, so
they'll fit in the locations you want.

Open the Header area of a unit. I assume you have a separate file for each
unit. If they're all in the same file, you'll need section breaks between
them, and their headers should have Same As Previous turned off.

With the cursor in the header paragraph, click Insert Text Box. Draw the
text box in approximately the position that's appropriate for the current
unit.

Click Format Text Direction and select the proper orientation. Type the
unit label in the text box, and format it as desired (best to use a custom
style you design for the purpose).

Click Format Text Box. Choose "No Line" in the color dropdown to remove
the border. Click the Layout tab and then the Advanced button, and set the
exact position you want. Click the Size tab and set the exact size you want.

If your document has "Different odd and even" headers, you'll have to repeat
all this for the Even header, placing the text box on the opposite side of
the page.

You can find other advice at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm, but the text box will
allow you to rotate the text 90 degrees, something you can't do with a frame
(unless you embed a table inside the frame, an extra complication).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Robyn wrote:
I write operations manuals for a manufacturing company, and our
manuals are dividied into 9 units. I would like to be able to print
the Unit number vertically on the edge of the page so that when a
user "flips through" the manual, the Unit number would show on the
edge of each page. Unit 1 would be placed at the upper portion of
the page, Unit 2 lower, Unit 3 still lower, etc. and Unit 9 would be
towards the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I wasn't aware of the article Daiya cited -- Suzanne must've sneaked it in
while I wasn't looking. :-)
--
Jay

Robyn wrote:
I write operations manuals for a manufacturing company, and our
manuals are dividied into 9 units. I would like to be able to print
the Unit number vertically on the edge of the page so that when a
user "flips through" the manual, the Unit number would show on the
edge of each page. Unit 1 would be placed at the upper portion of
the page, Unit 2 lower, Unit 3 still lower, etc. and Unit 9 would be
towards the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

She did. September or October? Something about posting a long answer to a
similar question, and then seeing the link to it sitting happily in the
thread, burned its existence into my brain.

Daiya

On 10/25/06 9:34 AM, "Jay Freedman" wrote:

I wasn't aware of the article Daiya cited -- Suzanne must've sneaked it in
while I wasn't looking. :-)
--
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

According to Andi, I have a memory like a steel sieve... You probably
did mention it, but I wasn't paying attention to that part. smack
self on forehead
--
Jay

Robyn wrote:
I write operations manuals for a manufacturing company, and our
manuals are dividied into 9 units. I would like to be able to print
the Unit number vertically on the edge of the page so that when a
user "flips through" the manual, the Unit number would show on the
edge of each page. Unit 1 would be placed at the upper portion of
the page, Unit 2 lower, Unit 3 still lower, etc. and Unit 9 would be
towards the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I checked, and I don't think I did mention it. I think I couldn't bear to go
through a review on that one, too. g

wrote:

Yeah, the AnchorToHeader article you reviewed was actually preparing the
ground for this one. I thought I'd mentioned it to you.

so
all may benefit.

Robyn wrote:
I write operations manuals for a manufacturing company, and our
manuals are dividied into 9 units. I would like to be able to print
the Unit number vertically on the edge of the page so that when a
user "flips through" the manual, the Unit number would show on the
edge of each page. Unit 1 would be placed at the upper portion of
the page, Unit 2 lower, Unit 3 still lower, etc. and Unit 9 would be
towards the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions?

--
Regards,