Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
apail apail is offline

Default How do you save Idex and Tables settings in a template?

I'm trying to format my TOC using the Index and Table window and add the
settings to my template but the settings will not save in my template. Can
anyone tell me the steps I must take to save these settings to produce the
TOC I need?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi apail

apail wrote:
I'm trying to format my TOC using the Index and Table window and add the
settings to my template but the settings will not save in my template. Can
anyone tell me the steps I must take to save these settings to produce the
TOC I need?

my suggestion: forget that window.

Once your TOC is as you like it, select the first letter of the TOC
(this will select the whole thing) and hit SHIFT-F9. You should now see
the TOC field with all sorts of switches and letters. Those are field
switches.

Dig down a bit into Word's offline help and look up the TOC field. Look
at all the switches that you see in your field (can't hurt to look at
some of the others, too, to get the idea what the field can do for you).

You might want to change your field code a bit, or not, but once you are
satisfied, save the TOC field as an AutoText in this template.

Make sure that the TOC styles ("TOC 1", etc.) are as you wanted them
(i.e., don't format your TOC manually, but only through those styles).

Now, whenever you are in a document based on this template and want to
insert a TOC, simply insert the AutoText and update it (F9 when cursor
is in the field).

2cents
Robert