Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SueBQBRNMSN SueBQBRNMSN is offline

Default How can I keep a pasted documents original look onto one I am wor.

I copied a form onto my word document as a cover page. My open document
changed it completely and now it is two pages and completely unacceptable for
submission. How can I keep it looking the same as the original?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Sue,

When you copy & paste paragraphs from one document to another, the style
definitions in the source document take on the attributes of the same styles
in the target document.

Thus, if you have a style named 'MyStyle' in both documents, but it's
formatted as 12pt Times Roman with a 12pt lead in the source but as 10pt
Courier New Bold with an 18pt lead in the target, anything copied from a
'MyStyle' paragraph in the source will appear in 10pt Courier New Bold with
an 18pt lead when pasted into the target.

Since you obviously need to preserve the formatting from the source, you
could export its style definitions to the target. This would, of course mean
that anything using those styles in the target will now adopt the source
style attributes, which you may not want. Alternatively, you could rename
the styles used in the source with names that aren't used in the target.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]