Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
james james is offline

Default features that help multiple users edit the same file?

What are the features in word to facilitate two people editing the same
file, or version control? The file is on a shared folder on a peer-to-peer
LAN.

I'm using office 2007. I'm not looking for a tutorial. Even just a list of
features/keyword would be nice so I can research those topics further.

I found something about a "version" menuitem in the file menu but I cannot
find that menuitem. Perhaps this is for an older version of word. So where
did this feature move to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Track Changes, Compare and Merge are the bits you should look at. Your
choice depends on which suits what you are doing and how you work.

Versions were a feature of pre-2007 Word and were VERY buggy and to be
avoided. Apart from anything else, file size really bloated and eventually
the document would explode!

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"james" wrote in message
What are the features in word to facilitate two people editing the same
file, or version control? The file is on a shared folder on a peer-to-peer
LAN.

I'm using office 2007. I'm not looking for a tutorial. Even just a list
of features/keyword would be nice so I can research those topics further.

I found something about a "version" menuitem in the file menu but I cannot
find that menuitem. Perhaps this is for an older version of word. So where
did this feature move to?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If€”in addition to the Word features Terry mentioned€”traceability and
automatic version control is important, you might also want to look into
document management systems such as SharePoint.

PamC

Terry Farrell wrote:
Track Changes, Compare and Merge are the bits you should look at. Your
choice depends on which suits what you are doing and how you work.

Versions were a feature of pre-2007 Word and were VERY buggy and to be
avoided. Apart from anything else, file size really bloated and eventually
the document would explode!

What are the features in word to facilitate two people editing the same
file, or version control? The file is on a shared folder on a peer-to-peer

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]