Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
davidrafky davidrafky is offline

Default Q&A--Graphics and Word

I am using an older version of Word (from around 2002). I am writing my
family genealogy which is text (not fancy) with pictures interwoven. I could
prepare the document in Publisher and convert to PDF so all my relatives can
read it. The problem is that I want my relatives to be able to add their
stories and pictures to the documnent.

So, I decided to use word. The problems I have a
(a) Is there a graphics frame or box in Word?
(b) Is there a way to anchor pictures to a particular spot on the page?
(c) Is there a way to have text flow around a picture?
(d) Is there a way to have some white space between a picture and the text?

I know I am "desktop publishing territory" here -- but I want to stick with
word so my relatives can add their material to the document.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

David Rafky
Miami FL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes is the answer to all questions. See in line notes.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"davidrafky" wrote in message
I am using an older version of Word (from around 2002). I am writing my
family genealogy which is text (not fancy) with pictures interwoven. I
could prepare the document in Publisher and convert to PDF so all my
relatives can read it. The problem is that I want my relatives to be able
to add their stories and pictures to the documnent.

So, I decided to use word. The problems I have a
(a) Is there a graphics frame or box in Word?

There are both Frames and Text Boxes. BUt if they are for the pictures, you
should need them.

(b) Is there a way to anchor pictures to a particular spot on the page?

Not really. If you turn on the ShowAll command to see the non-printing
characters, you will see that a picture inserted In Line is anchored to a
particular paragraph marker. This usually flows as text is edited.

(c) Is there a way to have text flow around a picture?

Sure. Right-click a picture and choose Properties and select the Text
Wrapping tab. Here you will find different ways to change how the picture
and text wrap around. You can then drag the picture around the page to the
desired position. BUt of course, if you edit text before the picture, its
position will move with the text.

(d) Is there a way to have some white space between a picture and the
text?

Part of the Properties settings above.

I know I am "desktop publishing territory" here -- but I want to stick
with word so my relatives can add their material to the document.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

David Rafky
Miami FL

word art and other graphics Ron Microsoft Word Help 1 March 4th 08 11:46 AM
Graphics in Word D Microsoft Word Help 1 April 22nd 07 02:46 PM
Word Graphics [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 September 16th 06 04:34 PM
Word and graphics billybob New Users 1 July 19th 06 03:27 AM
How do I lock graphics in Word Atino Microsoft Word Help 1 March 18th 05 01:13 PM