mvnguyen03

Default Alphabetizing Numbered Lists

I created a numbered list, but want to alphabetize the whole list, but have
it ignore certain words when alphabetizing, like "the". Can anybody help?
I'm going insane trying to figure this out!
Jay Freedman

mvnguyen03 wrote:
I created a numbered list, but want to alphabetize the whole list,
but have it ignore certain words when alphabetizing, like "the". Can
anybody help? I'm going insane trying to figure this out!

If you've used automatic list numbering, for example by applying the List
Number paragraph style, then the numbering won't interfere with the sorting
at all -- in fact, the items will automatically be renumbered correctly.

To ignore words during sorting, mark them with the Hidden font format. The
quick way is to selet the word and press the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+H. Do the
sort while the Hidden words aren't visible, and then remove the Hidden
format (press the ¶ button on the toolbar so you can see the hidden words,
select the whole list, and press Ctrl+Alt+H).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

TF

Just to add to Jay's solution: if the list is really so long that applying
the hidden attribute would be very time consuming, you can use the Search
and replace Dialog to apply the formatting. For example, you can search for
'The' and Replace with 'The' adding the hidden Font Format attribute.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: If you've used automatic list numbering, for example by applying the List
: Number paragraph style, then the numbering won't interfere with the
sorting
: at all -- in fact, the items will automatically be renumbered correctly.
:
: To ignore words during sorting, mark them with the Hidden font format. The
: quick way is to selet the word and press the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+H. Do the
: sort while the Hidden words aren't visible, and then remove the Hidden
: format (press the ¶ button on the toolbar so you can see the hidden words,
: select the whole list, and press Ctrl+Alt+H).
:
: --
: Regards,
: Jay Freedman
: Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
hotmilne hotmilne is offline

How about if I HAVEN'T used automatic list numbering?
Thanks

: mvnguyen03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As this is separated from its original question, would you please post again
and tell us what is your question?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP