Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] mshall2@gmail.com is offline

Default Word crashes when closing

When I close Word 2007 (in Vista), I get the following error message:

Word cannot open the file ~WRD{long string of letter and number}.tmp.
If the file is stored on your computer, there may be a problem with
your hardware. If the file is stored on the network, there may
be. . .

It appears to do this only when I open a file that is stored in a temp
folder somewhere. I've investigated this problem a little closer, and
others think it has something to do with HP printers - I do have an HP
printer, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and the problem
persists. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TravisTee TravisTee is offline

Same issue here, and it is almost certainly a problem with the HP drivers, I
have a Photosmart all-in-one c7280.

I can change the default printer to something else (even my derelict old HP
Deskjet 952c) and the problem instantly goes away. Set my c7280 back as
default and instantly the problem is back.

I've tried working with HP Tech Support on this, but they have been
amazingly obtuse. One suggestion which does resolve the error is to install
a 990c driver instead, the only problem is that it prints pictures at 300x300
instead of the 600x600 the c7280 drivers support. BTW HP didn't tell me that
when they recommended this solution, I guess they hoped I wouldn't notice my
high priced hi-res printer now printed like a cheap low-res printer :-(

I've uninstalled all of the software and reinstalled just the basic driver,
but the error still occurs (although there is a lot less crap running on my
computer now). The only solution I have is to set the default printer to
something else (you can even choose the Office Document Writer if you don't
have another printer installed, or you can install both the 990c and normal
driver for your printer at the same time) and then when you go to print,
manually select your HP printer.