Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ed Sheehan Ed Sheehan is offline

Default Show outline hierarchy on every line

We print long tech spec documents using outlining. Many sections are several
pages long, so on any page you might see only a few "sections":

x) .........
(1) ........
(2) ........
xi) ........
(1) .......
(2) .......

....etc. It can be impossible to know which major section you're in without a
lot of page flipping (section x and xi above can contain many lines each).
What I would like to see is this:

7) d) x) ........
7) d) x) (1) .......
7) d) x) (2) .......
7) d) xi) (1) .......
7) d) xi) (2) .......

....and so on. Can this be done either natively in Word (2003), or with the
use of a macro or other add-on? It must be automatic, or at least not making
me type this stuff in (what a maintenance headache that'd be!)

Thanks very much.

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

If you are using Outline Numbered List, this is very simple to achieve and
Word will keep this working automatically.
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html,
specifically section 2.2. And heed the warning not to leave the customize box
when finished with Level 1. Applying the following levels of Outline, must be
done in the Heading 1 for this to work properly, follow Ms Kelly's
instructions and you should be fine.

There is another option, you could use a StyleRef field, say, in the Footer
which is linked to the Heading1 style (for example), this will automatically
update as another Heading 2 (or whatever) is created, and will show on every
page what higher section the reader is in within the document. This field has
multple optiosn to show number, text, etc.

"Ed Sheehan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ed Sheehan Ed Sheehan is offline

This worked quite well. By adding commas in the number format box, I'm
getting nice delimited indexing. I didn't have time in this doc to use
styles, so I just selected the whold document and applied the customization
directly.

Has anyone else noticed that the "previous level number" box is real touchy?
After level 3 it's quite entertaining figuring out what magic combinations
of level clicking produce the desired results.

Thanks very much for the help!

Ed