Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
minimus minimus is offline

Default justify text

As you know one can justify the text to give it a block look.
When doing this ms word stretches the sentences.
I don't want this stretching to happen. Instead, I would like the sentences
to stand as they are and
hyphens can be used to break words between lines.
Is this possible?

I use the last version of word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

By latest version do you mean 2007 (Win) or 2008 (Mac).
You can set the document to be auto-hyphenated.
In 2007 this can be found on the Page Layout tab in the Page Setup group.
Instead of the autohyphen, try the "Do full justification like
Wordperfect6.x for windows" setting that is in the Compatibility settings
which I believe is under the Microsoft Office button (pizza), Word Options
button. This may give you better results without the hyphenation.
Give this a test and the choice is yours.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"minimus" wrote:

As you know one can justify the text to give it a block look.
When doing this ms word stretches the sentences.
I don't want this stretching to happen. Instead, I would like the sentences
to stand as they are and
hyphens can be used to break words between lines.
Is this possible?

I use the last version of word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
minimus minimus is offline

thanks a lot
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
minimus minimus is offline

thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes. The WP justification option shrinks as well as expands spacing to
optimise the result. I never understood why this wasn't the default. (The
answer given was to maintain compatibility with older documents.)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"minimus" wrote:

As you know one can justify the text to give it a block look.
When doing this ms word stretches the sentences.
I don't want this stretching to happen. Instead, I would like the
sentences
to stand as they are and
hyphens can be used to break words between lines.
Is this possible?

I use the last version of word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

I totally agree and forgot to mention this to minimus.
The "Full justify like Wordperfect" works quite well but generally the
default Justify is more that adequate for my modest needs.
Maybe the problem is more to do with Manual line breaks which, as well know
so well, can cause extensive elongation of the final line.
DeanH

"minimus" wrote:

As you know one can justify the text to give it a block look.
When doing this ms word stretches the sentences.
I don't want this stretching to happen. Instead, I would like the
sentences
to stand as they are and
hyphens can be used to break words between lines.
Is this possible?

I use the last version of word.

Force justify text Civil jenny Microsoft Word Help 4 May 9th 08 02:35 PM
Justify Text smalljazz Page Layout 2 November 27th 06 05:09 PM
In Justify why does inserted text sometimes replace existing text ryebri Microsoft Word Help 1 March 27th 06 01:37 AM
justify text verticaly? mooad2005 Microsoft Word Help 3 June 5th 05 10:35 PM
how do I right justify text within a form field landon Microsoft Word Help 2 January 21st 05 03:06 PM