Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ReneeC ReneeC is offline

Default Word 2007 and PDF Bookmarks

I just upgraded Office 2003 to 2007 and was using Adobe Acrobat Professional
7.0 to create PDFs. I downloaded the pdf add-in from the Microsoft website,
but when I create a PDF, the bookmarks don't have the header numbers. The
good thing is the headers are generated, which some PDF Makers don't do. My
word document contains headers 1, 2 & 3 throughout and has an auto generated
TOC. When I used to use Adobe, it would list the headers with the numbers
before them in the bookmarks.

Is there a way to do this with the PDF add-in from Microsoft? If not, does
anyone know of a free PDF maker that can do this? My company does not want
to pay to upgrade to the newest Acrobat Profressional, which does this.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you choose Office - Save as - PDF or XPS... Save as type: PDF... click
on the Options button in the lower part of the Publish as PDF or XPS dialog.
Is Create bookmarks using: enabled?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"reneec" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ReneeC ReneeC is offline

Yes, create bookmarks is enabled. Bookmarks do get created but the heading
numbers are not included. I found a free utility yesterday called PDF-T-Maker
that does this so I'm using this now. I just wished the add-in that Microsoft
has would have worked like this. It doesn't make sense that it takes the
heading
names but not the heading numbers for the bookmarks.

"reneec" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see now. Previously, you said "header numbers," and I thought you were
referring to numbers contained inside headers. But, you're saying that if
your document includes automatic numbering for headings (not headers) (I, 1,
A, a, etc.), then those numbers are not included in the bookmarks that the
converter uses to create the PDF outline (which it calls bookmarks--a
different concept from Word's own bookmark concept).

If the document has manual heading numbering, however, the converter does
correctly capture those.

I wonder if this was an oversight, or a design decision. Having the numbers
appear at the left would be an important navigation aid--which is really the
reason for having the heading-based-bookmarks to begin with.

In any case, I'm glad you've found a free alternative that provides the
functionality.