Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marlene Marlene is offline

Default Why does "x" close word entirely and not just my current document

When I'm working in Word 07 and I go to close the current document with the
small "x" on the top right hand corner it closes the word software and not
just my current document on top. Am I blind as I don't see another "x" to
close just the current document I'm working on. Do I need to set something up
differently than word 03?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

The close command that you are looking for is at:
Office Button Close

Try opening each document in its own window by checking
[* ] Show all windows in the Taskbar
at: Office Button Word Options Advanced : Display
then the "x" only closes the current document.

"Marlene" wrote:

When I'm working in Word 07 and I go to close the current document with the
small "x" on the top right hand corner it closes the word software and not
just my current document on top. Am I blind as I don't see another "x" to
close just the current document I'm working on. Do I need to set something up
differently than word 03?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Default Why does "x" close word entirely and not just my current docum

I forgot to say if you unckeck
[ ] Show all windows in the Taskbar
at: Office Button Word Options Advanced : Display
the small "x" that you want is on the top right hand corner of the document.

"Marlene" wrote:

When I'm working in Word 07 and I go to close the current document with the
small "x" on the top right hand corner it closes the word software and not
just my current document on top. Am I blind as I don't see another "x" to
close just the current document I'm working on. Do I need to set something up
differently than word 03?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Christie Stoermer Christie Stoermer is offline

This was my question, as well. Where did my close document 'x' go? If I
forget to open a new document before I try to close the old one, I dump the
entire program. That is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

What is a QAT and how do I add a "close" button to it, and how does this
work? I would really appreciate any non-tech-speak answer you could give me
as all I do is type on this machine.

Thanks in advance.

"Marlene" wrote in message
When I'm working in Word 07 and I go to close the current document with
the
small "x" on the top right hand corner it closes the word software and not
just my current document on top. Am I blind as I don't see another "x" to
close just the current document I'm working on. Do I need to set something
up
differently than word 03?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

QAT = Quick Access Toolbar. This is the little toolbar just above (or below,
depending on the setting) the ribbon. If you right-click on the QAT, you can
chose between above or below. You can also chose to Customise the QAT.
Selecting this option options the options dialog and you can select from
hundreds of commands to add to the QAT. You can add the CLOSE button the
your QAT then.

You can also use Ctrl+F4 that only closes the active document but leaves the
Word application running. You can also click the Office button and click on
the Close icon there too.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Christie Stoermer" Christie wrote in
message news

"Marlene" wrote in message
When I'm working in Word 07 and I go to close the current document with
the
small "x" on the top right hand corner it closes the word software and
not
just my current document on top. Am I blind as I don't see another "x"
close just the current document I'm working on. Do I need to set
something
up
differently than word 03?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ivan Ivan is offline

From the office button - Word Options - Advanced - Display deselect
'Show All Windows In The Taskbar".
Far more convenient than adding & adding to the QAT. Also cuts down on
the clutter of doc windows all over the place if you have several
documents open at the same time...

HTH, Ivan.