Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan[_3_] Jan[_3_] is offline

Default Auto Text Entries

Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to enter
into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem to find
where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so I can't use
Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

AutoText is now called Quick Parts and is under the Insert menu. However,
you can still use it like Autotext by creating your text, selecting it and
using Alt+F3 to create a new Quick Part. Note that the dialog is now
slightly different. If you click on the Gallery option, you'll note that the
top choice is still called Autotext! You can add Insert, AutoText to the
QAT.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to enter
into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem to find
where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so I can't
use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan[_3_] Jan[_3_] is offline

Thanks Terry. Is there a keyboard stroke that can be used to enter the
"Quick Part" without having to stop typing and clicking on Insert and Quick
Parts ? (Whose dumb idea was this anyway ?? !!)

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so I
can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As Suzanne says... not quite the same (or as good) as previous AutoText as
there are no AutoComplete pop-ups (except for dates).

Terry

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so
I can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

That does it. Thanks. Why is it improvements generally aren't ! BTW,
AutoCorrect entries are fine for short sentences but there's a 255 character
limit and I wanted to AutoText 3 paragraphs. Now I know the (well kept)
secret ! Thanks to all in the group for their help.

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so
I can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you sure there is such a limitation for AutoCorrect entries? There is no
mention of AutoCorrect in “Operating Parameter Limitations and
Specifications in Word” (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211489), but the
limit for AutoText applies only to the entry name (32 characters).

Ah, wait, here it is: it's 255 for plain text; no limit for formatted (but
31-character limit for the replace text). See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180165.

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't
seem to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255
characters, so I can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jenkvt jenkvt is offline

Boy whoever dreamed up the QuickPart feature doesn't know squat about
repetitive entries. I work for a law firm and we use repetition all the time
- Autotext was a lifesaver during many a brief/legal opinion - you know how
verbose lawyers can be. I curse the brilliant bozo who "improved" Word 2003
by eliminating the autotext feature. To take one's hands off the keyboard
(or do multiple keystrokes to find the entry) does NOT save any time.
QuickParts my eye. I am not a happy camper. :-(

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters, so I
can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

But Auto Text is confined to only 255 characters.....not much if you'r
typing a whole paragraph.

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like to
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't
seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255 characters,
so I
can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Both autotext and autocorrect can hold anything that you can reasonably
insert into a document including graphics, tables and text running to many
pages.

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would
like to enter into a document by simply typing a few characters,
but can't seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255
characters, so I
can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

I stand corrected. FORMATTED entries work. PLAIN TEXT is limited to 255
characters. Guess I got confused by an earlier reply that said :

AutoText is now called Quick Parts and is under the Insert menu.
"However, you can still use it like Autotext by creating your text,
selecting
it and using Alt+F3 to create a new Quick Part. Note that the dialog is
now
slightly different. If you click on the Gallery option, you'll note
that the top choice is still called Autotext! You can add Insert, AutoText
to the QAT."

So now I have a new questions .... what's the difference between AutoText
and Quick Parts ?

"Jan" wrote in message
Word 2007 - I have several (consecutive) paragraphs I would like
enter into a document by simply typing a few characters, but can't
seem
to find where to make the entry. There are more than 255
characters, so I
can't use Auto Correct. Where's Auto Text hiding ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Good question. Microsoft hasn't entirely distinguished between "building
blocks" and "quick parts." The only things listed on the Quick Parts
(forgive me) menu* besides AutoText are Fields (not exactly quick, usually)
and Document Properties (which are also fields) and the Building Blocks
Organizer, in which you can see the contents of the various "galleries"
(one of which is AutoText), and if you click on "Get More on Office
Online...," you get a list of "building blocks," not Quick Parts.

*Word 2007 supposedly doesn't have "menus," but IMO if it walks like a duck
and quacks like a duck...