Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert T Robert T is offline

Default Word Document Pasted to Outlook sends unusual characters

First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to
Outlook. Works perfectly.

I am again trying [hard] to become familiar with Word. I have to use in my
day job but I have always preferred WP for my own work. I have Word 2007.

I opened the WP template in Word and it looks correct. However when I copy
and paste it into Outlook, some recipients see unusual characters where
quotes, apostrophes, en dashes, etc should be. This varies by recipient.

Any suggestion on what is happening.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
IT Data Integration Consultant
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Most likely these characters are in the WP Typographic Symbols font, which
your recipients do not have installed. You'll need to manually replace these
characters with the corresponding ones from the base font.

Alternatively, if you created the document new in Word, inserting these
characters from the Symbol dialog, it may be that the encoding of your email
doesn't support these Unicode characters. You would need to be sending as
Unicode or Rich Text for these to be preserved.

"Robert T" wrote in message
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to
Outlook. Works perfectly.

I am again trying [hard] to become familiar with Word. I have to use in my
day job but I have always preferred WP for my own work. I have Word 2007.

I opened the WP template in Word and it looks correct. However when I copy
and paste it into Outlook, some recipients see unusual characters where
quotes, apostrophes, en dashes, etc should be. This varies by recipient.

Any suggestion on what is happening.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
IT Data Integration Consultant

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert T Robert T is offline

Thanks for your answer. I had been doing this in WP and pasting into Outlook.
There was never an issue with this. If it were the WP Typographic Symbols
font I would think the recipients would have already seen this issue
(published for 5 years).

Since I opened this document in Word 2007, what font would they have
substituted?
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

"Robert T" wrote in message
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to
Outlook. Works perfectly.

I am again trying [hard] to become familiar with Word. I have to use in my
day job but I have always preferred WP for my own work. I have Word 2007.

I opened the WP template in Word and it looks correct. However when I copy
and paste it into Outlook, some recipients see unusual characters where
quotes, apostrophes, en dashes, etc should be. This varies by recipient.

Any suggestion on what is happening.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
IT Data Integration Consultant

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You might select one of the characters in the document and press Alt+X to
see what the Unicode number is (or, with it selected, go to the Symbol
dialog to see what symbol is highlighted).

"Robert T" wrote in message
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to
Outlook. Works perfectly.

I am again trying [hard] to become familiar with Word. I have to use in
my
day job but I have always preferred WP for my own work. I have Word
2007.

I opened the WP template in Word and it looks correct. However when I
copy
and paste it into Outlook, some recipients see unusual characters where
quotes, apostrophes, en dashes, etc should be. This varies by
recipient.

Any suggestion on what is happening.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
IT Data Integration Consultant

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Robert T" wrote in message
Thanks for your answer. I had been doing this in WP and pasting into
Outlook.
There was never an issue with this.

May I ask why you did it this way in the first place? Why not create a pdf
file from your document and attach that rather than paste?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert T Robert T is offline

Gordon; You may ask. This is a simple newsletter that goes to folks with
various levels of experience and equipment. I have kept it text only for that
purpose. No pictures, no fancy stuff, fast download.

My issue is that WordPerfect and Outlook have served me well. I would like
to use Word (makes Bill happy).
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

"Gordon" wrote:

"Robert T" wrote in message
Thanks for your answer. I had been doing this in WP and pasting into
Outlook.
There was never an issue with this.

May I ask why you did it this way in the first place? Why not create a pdf
file from your document and attach that rather than paste?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

"Robert T" wrote in message
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to
Outlook. Works perfectly.

I am again trying [hard] to become familiar with Word. I have to use in my
day job but I have always preferred WP for my own work. I have Word 2007.

I opened the WP template in Word and it looks correct. However when I copy
and paste it into Outlook, some recipients see unusual characters where
quotes, apostrophes, en dashes, etc should be. This varies by recipient.

Any suggestion on what is happening.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
IT Data Integration Consultant

Have you tried sending it as an attachment instead of copy-and-paste?

MaryL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The problem characters you mentioned are part of the Western(Windows 1252)
(once called Windows ANSI) code set, where many of the characters in the
range 128- 255 are not the same as Unicode (or Extended Ascii, with which
Unicode coincides). Sounds like you realized this when using WP, which
made its own substitutions in that character value range (as did Apple and
many other software companies).

So, when preparing your newsletter, turn off Word's auto correct features
that create curly quotes and apostrophes and em and en dashes. Watch out for
the Euro sign, too. In other words, stick with Ascii characters (values
below 128).

If you are reasonably certain that users have modern operating systems (such
as Windows XP &ff), you can code these typographic characters with their
Unicode values (insert symbol).

PamC

Robert T wrote:
This is a simple newsletter that goes to folks with
various levels of experience and equipment. I have kept it text only for that
purpose. No pictures, no fancy stuff, fast download.

My issue is that WordPerfect and Outlook have served me well. I would like
to use Word (makes Bill happy).
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

MaryL