Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Make It Fit function?

Does Word have the equivalent of WordPerfect's Make It Fit function? For
example, if I have three basic pages in a newsletter plus a small amount of
text that flows onto a fourth page -- Is there a way to quickly generate a
3-page document by asking Word to adjust margins and/or font? If so, how is
it done?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bobt bobt is offline

Choose FILE | PRINT PREVIEW. Once in this view, there is a SHRINK TO FIT
button in the toolbar that does the same thing.

Bob Tulk
MOUS(XP/97)

"MaryL" wrote:

Does Word have the equivalent of WordPerfect's Make It Fit function? For
example, if I have three basic pages in a newsletter plus a small amount of
text that flows onto a fourth page -- Is there a way to quickly generate a
3-page document by asking Word to adjust margins and/or font? If so, how is
it done?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

I spoke too soon. That sounded like it would do the same thing, but it
doesn't seem to work the same way. Word 2007 does not include File, but I
found Print Preview. The only option I found there was to "shrink one
page." That does, indeed, shrink the document but it made a much larger
change than needed. I tried it on a document that I wanted to shrink to two
pages. That document had one paragraph that extended onto the third page.
Instead of shrinking the document so it would fill two pages (which is what
I am used to and what I wanted), the document now leaves a great deal of
space on the second page. So, it did shrink but too much. Is there any way
to get it to actually fill the pages specified?

Thanks,
MaryL

"MaryL" wrote:

Does Word have the equivalent of WordPerfect's Make It Fit function? For
example, if I have three basic pages in a newsletter plus a small amount
of
text that flows onto a fourth page -- Is there a way to quickly generate
3-page document by asking Word to adjust margins and/or font? If so, how
is
it done?

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The "shrink one page" tool that Word provides is a one-trick pony: it reduces
the font size of all the text in half-point increments until the page count
decreases by one.

There are a number of better ways to do the job, but none of them are one-button
tools. Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman