kimjor

Default Why do my Word 2002 documents open so slowly?

I am running Windows XP-Pro; SP1. Word 2002 came preinstalled on my Dell
desktop computer. I now have version Word 2002 SP3.
Microsoft Works [but not the Works processor] also came preinstalled on the
computer. I have no other 'Office' programs.
From the very beginning, whenever I try to open up a 'Word' document I have
created, it takes almost a minute for the file to open up on my desktop.
There is no such problem with any documents I have created using MSWorls data
base or spreadsheet.
Can you help me? It is most annoying.
Rhoda Lazare

kimjor

Thanks for the suggestion. I already do delete the files in 'Temp' folder,
except for the current day's files.
Doesn't seem to make a difference. Any other suggestions?
I have set up a number of folders [some with sub-folders] in 'My
Documents', and then created Word documents within a particular folder. To
open a document, I click on 'My Documents\the Folder I want [then on any
subfolders within that folder]; finally I click on the name of the document I
wish to open. Is my method of reaching documents too cumbersome?
It should be noted that all my MSWorks files are also set up within those
same folders, and they always open very quickly.
Kimjor

"Anton Santa" wrote:

try to delete the files in your temp-folder
Toni

"kimjor" ha scritto nel messaggio
I am running Windows XP-Pro; SP1. Word 2002 came preinstalled on my Dell
desktop computer. I now have version Word 2002 SP3.
Microsoft Works [but not the Works processor] also came preinstalled on
the
computer. I have no other 'Office' programs.
From the very beginning, whenever I try to open up a 'Word' document I
have
created, it takes almost a minute for the file to open up on my desktop.
There is no such problem with any documents I have created using MSWorls
data
base or spreadsheet.
Can you help me? It is most annoying.
Rhoda Lazare

Anton Santa

Opening a doc from inside of word (file - open, file - recent files, ..) is
faster? Opening a doc from another drive (cd-rom, usb-stick, other
partition) or another folder (c:\test or something similar) is faster? Runs
outlook? If so, take a look at the journal options, disable them. What's the
size of your documents? Do you have any antivirus installed? Try to disable
it. Try to avoid to have more then 2000 files in the same folder. Does your
files include texts, pictures or embed other objects?

"Anton Santa" wrote:

try to delete the files in your temp-folder
Toni

"kimjor" ha scritto nel messaggio
I am running Windows XP-Pro; SP1. Word 2002 came preinstalled on my Dell
desktop computer. I now have version Word 2002 SP3.
Microsoft Works [but not the Works processor] also came preinstalled on
the
computer. I have no other 'Office' programs.
From the very beginning, whenever I try to open up a 'Word' document I
have
created, it takes almost a minute for the file to open up on my
desktop.
There is no such problem with any documents I have created using
MSWorls
data
base or spreadsheet.
Can you help me? It is most annoying.
Rhoda Lazare

kimjor

Thank you so much! You have solved my ongoing problem--much appreciated.
By opening up my Word 2002 document from WORD/file/open, the document just
jumped onto my screen!
Disabling the Norton anti-virus had not helped; neither could I find
'journal options' anywhere; I never have more than 25 files in a single
folder; none of my files is very long; I have no partition on my hard drive.
Opening documents from inside Word was the solution.
Kimjor

"Anton Santa" wrote:

try to delete the files in your temp-folder
Toni

"kimjor" ha scritto nel messaggio
I am running Windows XP-Pro; SP1. Word 2002 came preinstalled on my Dell
desktop computer. I now have version Word 2002 SP3.
Microsoft Works [but not the Works processor] also came preinstalled on
the
computer. I have no other 'Office' programs.
From the very beginning, whenever I try to open up a 'Word' document I
have