kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com

Default Independent left column?

I have a large, document in an outline format to which many users will add
comments over time. The comments are preceded, in some cases, with a single
letter comment code left aligned. Currently, the format is similar to the
following:

***********************
M.[1/2" tab] 1. [1/2" tab] Comments here......

X.[1/2" tab] 2. [1/2" tab] Comments here......

D.[1" tab] a.[1/2" tab] Comments here....etc. etc.
***********************

However, it is seeming extraordinarily difficult to set up any kind of a
template with styles for the actual content when the single letter code is
employed.

Is there an independent column or table I can use for these letter codes but
still be able to set up a list style with fully manipulatable content?

Thanks-
kevin

You might have a look at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm; I'm not sure whether a
frame is appropriate for what you want or not, but it's worth a try (and has
the advantage that it can be reduced to a style).

"kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Suzanne. This looks like what I might need but in reviewing your
document, it isn't clear whether I can have a frame automatically added to
Word for each outline entry (whether a comment is necessary or not). Or do I
just need to fiddle with the Format Frame dialog box?