Mary Ann

Default Font scaling and condensed

What is the difference between using scaling to reduce font and condensing
it? (Format, Font, Character Spacing)

Condensing changes the space between letters but does not alter their shape.
Scaling changes the shape to make them narrower or wider in relation to
their height.

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
What is the difference between using scaling to reduce font and condensing
it? (Format, Font, Character Spacing)

Jay Freedman

Mary Ann wrote:
What is the difference between using scaling to reduce font and
condensing it? (Format, Font, Character Spacing)

Scaling reduces (or expands) the widths of all characters you apply it to.
Condensing leaves the character widths the same, but pushes the characters
closer together.

To see this for yourself, put two identical paragraphs in a document. Select
one paragraph and scale it to 80%. Select the other paragraph and condense
it by 1 pt. The difference should be obvious.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SB Mull SB Mull is offline

I just installed Word 2007 and was surprised to discover that normal template
has 25% condensed character spacing. Does anyone know why? Should I assume
this is now the preferred appearance for published documents?
--
Sandra

"Mary Ann" wrote:

Thank you

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mary Ann wrote:
What is the difference between using scaling to reduce font and
condensing it? (Format, Font, Character Spacing)

Scaling reduces (or expands) the widths of all characters you apply it to.
Condensing leaves the character widths the same, but pushes the characters
closer together.

To see this for yourself, put two identical paragraphs in a document. Select
one paragraph and scale it to 80%. Select the other paragraph and condense
it by 1 pt. The difference should be obvious.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

hmmm... my fresh install of Word 2007 doesn't. Scale is 100%, spacing
and position are normal, and kerning is off.

SB Mull wrote:

I just installed Word 2007 and was surprised to discover that normal template
has 25% condensed character spacing. Does anyone know why? Should I assume
this is now the preferred appearance for published documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SB Mull SB Mull is offline

Thanks. I will try to figure out how to modify the normal template
permanently. If anyone else has had my experience, please respond.
Sandra
--
Sandra

SB Mull wrote:

I just installed Word 2007 and was surprised to discover that normal template
has 25% condensed character spacing. Does anyone know why? Should I assume
this is now the preferred appearance for published documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Easy to change... start a new document, click on the little arrow at the
bottom right corner of the Font group on the Home tab, click on the
Character Spacing tab, change what you want, click on Default, and click
on OK. If you are prompted to save changes to your global template when
you exit Word, say yes.