Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CristinaP

Default Hyperlinks -Relative Addresses and Absolute Addresses

I have a question: I would like to know how I can create a hyperlink with a
relative address to the current folder so that when I copy the entire folder
on a CD (or any protable device) my hyperlink works normally (no matter what
computer I am using to run the CD).
So,for example my hyperlink's path would be " ght.mht " and not "
C:\\....\project\ght.mht ".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Hyperlinks are normally stored as relative but it isn't always easy to
understand what's going on.

If the source document and the target file are both saved in Folder A before
the hyperlink is entered, then the hyperlink will be relative and if you
close both files and copy both to Folder B it should still be relative
(pointing to Folder B). You must copy the files outside of Word, though,
doing a Save As will not have the same effect.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"CristinaP" wrote in message
I have a question: I would like to know how I can create a hyperlink with

relative address to the current folder so that when I copy the entire

folder
on a CD (or any protable device) my hyperlink works normally (no matter

what
computer I am using to run the CD).
So,for example my hyperlink's path would be " ght.mht " and not "
C:\\....\project\ght.mht ".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CristinaP

I agree with you, Tony! This is the way it should be! But it isn't! If I move
the source in another folder the hyperlink shouldn't work - because it's
address is relative! BUT IT DOES! And I don't know why! And if I move both
the source and the target it doesn't work anymore!So.....

"CristinaP" wrote in message
I have a question: I would like to know how I can create a hyperlink with

relative address to the current folder so that when I copy the entire

folder
on a CD (or any protable device) my hyperlink works normally (no matter

what
computer I am using to run the CD).
So,for example my hyperlink's path would be " ght.mht " and not "
C:\\....\project\ght.mht ".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Hi ChristinaP,

I haven't the time to give to this right now so a couple of quick thoughts

a) Is the hyperlink definitely relative in the first place?
b) Do you have a hyperlink base set (under F ile Properties)

I assume the answers to the above are yes, and no. So see if it helps if you
update the hyperlink Field (select it and press F9) - I'm not entirely sure
off the top of my head when this needs to be done but it shouldn't ever be
wrong.

--
Enjoy,
Tony