Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default Line Mystery

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

See:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Karen wrote:
I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

See: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

I just found out how it was created, but I'm still having a problem. I went
to Format Borders and Shading and then I clicked on the diagram to add the
horizontal line to the top and bottom. I just cannot figure out how to
navigate the cursor below that line after I type in the text between the
lines, so I can add a blank space and then another line below the blank
space. When I hit the enter key, it expands the space below the text. When I
press the cursor down, I cannot advance to the "section" below that.
HELP AGAIN!
P.S. I'm using Word 2003

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Remove the border from the paragraph you get when you press Enter, and your
Bottom border will jump back to the previous paragraph. Alternatively, if
you are in a table (Table | Show Gridlines), press Tab to insert a new row.

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing

toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line

above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you

type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Thank you all for your help - I have another question
I read the link Carol & Greg sent - Thank you, it was very helpful.
Let's say I type 3 hyphens and then press enter, I then type some text, then
3 hyphens again, press enter - How do I open the spacing above and below the
text and within the lines? I highlighted the text and went to Format
Paragraph and adjusted the spacing and that only adjusted the spacing outside
the lines.
HELP!

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Thank you everyone for your help - Thank you Suzanne, that worked great.
Do you know of any online tutorials that would help in learning more about
formatting?
Thanks again, Karen

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section" is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing

toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line

above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as you

type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For this particular one, you might want to see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want to change the space between a paragraph and its border,

click
the Options button in the Format | Borders and Shading dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Karen" wrote:

I have a document that has different "sections" and each "section"

is
separated by a line. The line is not a line drawn from the drawing

toolbar.
It's not a line created by holding down shift and using the dash

key.
The document has some text (questions) and then the text has a line

above
and below it. Then below the question is a blank space to type in

your
answer and then there's a line below that. The "section" expands as

you
type
more, to accommodate the text. How was this line created? What

other
methods of creating a line are there other than the two I mentioned?
HELP!

double window envelope tpdebronsky Page Layout 5 May 18th 23 08:51 PM
Mystery Line Kelly G Page Layout 1 February 15th 06 06:18 PM
Mystery Line with MS Word eliza lily Microsoft Word Help 4 November 7th 05 04:58 AM
Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line Greg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 05 12:43 AM
Vertical line--leaving line and losing the box Chad Harris New Users 1 February 1st 05 04:50 AM