Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Disa Disa is offline

Default mail merge putting fields in the wrong place!

Hi everyone!! I found this place because I am very frustrated!!
*chuckles*

I'm using Microsoft Office 2000, and Windows 98. I have a mail merge
that has been working well until yesterday!

When I went to use it, it suddenly came up with an error that a field
didn't exist (which is odd, because it was there) and now it's acting
very peculiar.

I'm merging Excel data into an Avery 5160 label mail merge in Word.
I've created a new product label using the Mail Merge wizard, pulling
the field names directly from row A1 in my Excel table as it pops up in
the Insert Field Dialogue box in Word. I've told it to display blank
lines, because I want each field to display exactly where I've
positioned it, regardless if some of the fields are blank.

However, it keeps repositioning my fields! It appears that it's
ignoring my paragraph formatting I've used in the template to put the
fields on different lines, and just makes one long line out of it.
(When I show the paragraph breaks on the merged labels, some of the
labels are missing the appropriate paragraph breaks. ) But it doesn't
do that with every record - just some of them! I can see no rhyme or
reason why some of the labels display correct paragraph breaks and
others are all one line of text.

I've double checked how the template is set up and it does display
correct paragraph breaks on each label of the template. I've even
recreated my label, but it still does it. I've even gotten all updates
suggested by the Microsoft site.

Is there any way I can stop it from doing that?

Thanks in advance!

--
Disa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Were any updates applied to Word 2000 before this started happening?

I haven't come across this before, but could the following article be
relevant?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214161/en-us

Otherwise, in this case what I would probably do is assume that there could
be corruption in either Word's global template or elsewhere - it may be
worth locating Word's global template normal.dot and renaming it - don't
delete it - then restarting Word (Word creates a new Normal.dot) and see if
that makes a difference.

Peter Jamieson
news