Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
gijski gijski is offline

Default excel--to-excel linked cells not updated in word mailmerge

In workbook 1 I have cells that are linked to cells in workbook 2 (used
'paste link').
In a Word document I'm having fields for mail merging using workbook 1.

The problem is that although everything is set (in Excell) to update
automatically, I still need to open workbook 1 manually first to update the
links to workbook 2.

----

Example:

Workbook 2 contains:
- a cell with the content "hello"

Workbook 1 contains a (pasted) link to that cell.

The Word document has a field pointing to this cell
- when mailmerging, "hello" is displayed

Now I change "hello" into "hi" in Workbook 2.
- when mailmerging in Word, "hello" isn't automatically changed into "hi".

---

I read a similar problem in powerpoint, where this code was used for a macro.
Is this a way to go?

' -= Code starts here =-
Sub Update()
Dim oSl As Slide
Dim oSh As Shape
For Each oSl In ActivePresentation.Slides
For Each oSh In oSl.Shapes
If oSh.Type = msoLinkedOLEObject Then
oSh.LinkFormat.Update
End If
Next
Next
End Sub
' -= Code ends here =-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Possibly, if in Word, you select Options from the Tools menu and then check
the "Confirm conversions at open" box on the General tab, and then you use
DDE as the method of attaching the data source to the Word document (select
it in the dialog that appears when you attach the data source), the
spreadsheet may then update itself.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.