Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default NORMAL DOT Mystery

Fellow Forum Members,
My manual I'm writing in WORD is linked to it's own NORMAL.DOT template file
I named MyManual.dot. In addition, it's located on a network drive G: in a
directory named "Project". However, and this has me confused, eventhough I
have gone to OPTIONS and have told WORD to link to the Normal.dot file in
G:Project named "MyManaul.dot" for some reason Word keeps on autogenerating a
standard Normal.dot file named "Normal.dot". Why does Word do this? I find
it confusing as heck as to why WORD requires a second DOT file in the same
folder my custom DOT file is located in? Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You simply cannot replace the blank document template in Word. If Word
cannot find normal.dot, it will always create a new one, sooner or
later.

What you can do is create a new documents from some other template,
such as your MyManual.dot template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"binar" wrote in message
Fellow Forum Members,
My manual I'm writing in WORD is linked to it's own NORMAL.DOT

template file
I named MyManual.dot. In addition, it's located on a network drive

G: in a
directory named "Project". However, and this has me confused,

eventhough I
have gone to OPTIONS and have told WORD to link to the Normal.dot

file in
G:Project named "MyManaul.dot" for some reason Word keeps on

autogenerating a
standard Normal.dot file named "Normal.dot". Why does Word do this?

I find
it confusing as heck as to why WORD requires a second DOT file in

the same
folder my custom DOT file is located in? Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot create normal.dot in this way. Only Word can create Normal.dot
which is a required system file and if not present Word will re-create it.
Use your own template as a document template.

Line Mystery Karen Microsoft Word Help 8 August 28th 06 09:44 PM
Mystery Objects Joel Reeves Microsoft Word Help 1 August 17th 06 09:55 PM
Table of Contents Mystery Island Girl New Users 8 May 4th 06 10:25 PM
Mystery Line Kelly G Page Layout 1 February 15th 06 06:18 PM
Mystery Line with MS Word eliza lily Microsoft Word Help 4 November 7th 05 04:58 AM