Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DPete14 DPete14 is offline

Default Custom templates in Word 2007

In our office we have custom templates, which everybody accesses via our
internal network. I am used to the irritating problem that to change (edit)
one of these templates, nobody in the office can have a document open that is
based on the particular template I am trying to change (edit). Starting in
2007, however, when a document is created using a template, and a user opens
this (new) document, a "File In Use" dialogue box pops up saying that the
template (that the document is based on) is locked for editing by "another
user". It goes on to ask if you want to open a read only copy, create a
local copy and merge changes later, or receive notification when the original
copy is available, with an "OK" and a "CANCEL" button. Clicking either
button will open up the document. Now, this dialogue box usually pops up
when somebody else has the document open. But now it pops up saying the
*template* is open. I have tested and this happens with all the different
templates we have. Anyone know what the heck is going on here, and how I can
make it stop? If I can't, then we can't be using this version, which is
coming standard on the new machines.

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil Benson Neil Benson is offline

Hi Dan, users on my network have been experiencing the same annoying message.
It's not a showstopper - it's just dumb.

Let me know if you ever found a resoution.

Regards,
--
Neil Benson
Increase - Hosted Microsoft CRM with Beyond Demand service