Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legalbear Legalbear is offline

Default Migrating from Word 2000 to 2007

My office will soon be migrating from Word 2000 to 2007.

I have a large number of custom macros in the normal.dot template.

Will these migrate to Word 2007, i.e., does it use the normal.dot template?

If not, how do I go about getting them up and running in Word 2007?

This also includes a number of custom menus and toolbar items.

I use these constantly (legal secretary) and I need to be able to get up and
running quickly!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello LegalLegalbear wrote:
My office will soon be migrating from Word 2000 to 2007.

I have a large number of custom macros in the normal.dot template.

Will these migrate to Word 2007, i.e., does it use the normal.dot template?

yes, they will "migrate" (whatever that means in this context ...): Word
2007's global template is called "Normal.dotx", or, as in your case,
"Normal.dotm" ("m" for Macro-enabled").

Whether they also work in 2007, in the same way as in 2000, can only be
decided by looking at them in detail. Some functionality has been added,
and since the file format and UI are totally new, things dealing with
that might and might not.

If not, how do I go about getting them up and running in Word 2007?

This also includes a number of custom menus and toolbar items.

Alas, then your macros need redesign, at least GUI-wise: there are no
toolbars anymore in 2007.

I use these constantly (legal secretary) and I need to be able to get up and
running quickly!!

There are third-party tools enabling mere mortal users (like me) to get
back a lot of the "cusomizability", see for instance:

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...ndexGerman.php

Prepare for a great many new things to digest with the new version: it's
easily been the biggest change for Word in many versions. The more you
know about the UI, the steeper the learning curve will be.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...ndexGerman.php

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php

for most readers in here, sorry about that! :-)

Greetings from good old Europe
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legalbear Legalbear is offline

Thanks a bunch - this is some good info!!

I'm going to see if we can get the trial version of Office 2007 installed on
one of our XP machines, so I can start experimenting with it, since I'll also
be the one to train other folks as well.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You might find it helpful to keep Word 2003 at least in the short term - see
also http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm