Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajw5850 ajw5850 is offline

Default Word 2003 freezes on pg 12 of a 13 pg doc

I have a 13 pg doc that freezes as soon as I scroll to pg 12. Page 12 does
have a graphic inserted on it. (It's a line drawing of a computer thing)

Ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

It sounds like a memory problem to me. How big is the graphic? What format
is the graphic in?

If the graphic is too large (electronic size, not physical size), your
computer won't be able to display it easily. If the graphic is in an
incompatible format, you can have problems, too.

Try opening it in the program that originally created the graphic and saving
either at a different resolution or in a different format.

If that doesn't work, try pasting the figure in using "Paste Special" and
selecting Windows Metafile or Enhanced Metafile. If those don't work, try
the other options under "Paste Special." You may need to play with it a
little to come up with a combination your computer's memory limits can handle.

Make sure you aren't tracking your changes when you re-paste the figure in.
Tracking changes only exacerbates the problem.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"ajw5850" wrote:

I have a 13 pg doc that freezes as soon as I scroll to pg 12. Page 12 does
have a graphic inserted on it. (It's a line drawing of a computer thing)

Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajw5850 ajw5850 is offline

I took the image and resized it to 96 pixels and exported as a jpg. I was
able to insert it, but made no difference when I opened the doc again - it
froze. So I inserted it as a wmf and it is still freezing.
One crucial thing I have found though, the document won't freeze if I have
it in "normal" view as opposed to print layout. I am using headers and
footers.
The file size shows as 542 KB.