Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blue Bunny Blue Bunny is offline

Default Address list in Word needed in Excel

I have a list of addresses in a Word document which I would like to put into
Excel.
It's a simple list of names & address:

Jane Jones
101 My Way
MyCity, NC 22222

Paul Joyner
202 His Way
HisCity, NC 33333

I need to have it in an Excel format with the following columns:
First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Is there a way to do this???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blue Bunny Blue Bunny is offline

Default NOTE - Address list in Word needed in Excel

Note: Forgot to mention I have Word & Excel 2003 in case it matters.

"Blue Bunny" wrote:

I have a list of addresses in a Word document which I would like to put into
Excel.
It's a simple list of names & address:

Jane Jones
101 My Way
MyCity, NC 22222

Paul Joyner
202 His Way
HisCity, NC 33333

I need to have it in an Excel format with the following columns:
First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Is there a way to do this???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Convert%2...a%20Fi le.pdf

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Blue Bunny" wrote in message
I have a list of addresses in a Word document which I would like to put
into
Excel.
It's a simple list of names & address:

Jane Jones
101 My Way
MyCity, NC 22222

Paul Joyner
202 His Way
HisCity, NC 33333

I need to have it in an Excel format with the following columns:
First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Is there a way to do this???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hagop Hagop is offline

I'd start with a series of search and replaces:

Replace: "^p" with ", ^p" (add a comma and space to the end of each line.)
Replace: ", ^p, ^p" with "^p" (remove the lines between your addresses.)
Replace: ", ^p" with ", " (put the addresses on one line each)

At this point, you have:

Jane Jones, 101 My Way, MyCity, NC 22222
Paul Joyner, 202 His Way, HisCity, NC 33333

If all the addresses are in NC, you can replace "NC " with "NC, ". If
they're not, you might have to manually add those commas. You want to have:

Jane Jones, 101 My Way, MyCity, NC, 22222
Paul Joyner, 202 His Way, HisCity, NC, 33333

Then you should save the document as a plain text file (.TXT) and open it in
Excel. Tell the Text Import Wizard that you are importing a Delimited file.
In the next screen, check "Comma," so that your fields will be split at each
comma. Click on Finish.

Now all your data are in columns. In order to split the name into first and
last name, insert a column between columns A and B. Select Column A, then
Data, Text to Columns, Delimited, Next, Check "Space," (so the first name
will be separated from the last name,) and Finish.

"Blue Bunny" wrote:

I have a list of addresses in a Word document which I would like to put into
Excel.
It's a simple list of names & address:

Jane Jones
101 My Way
MyCity, NC 22222

Paul Joyner
202 His Way
HisCity, NC 33333

I need to have it in an Excel format with the following columns:
First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Is there a way to do this???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blue Bunny Blue Bunny is offline

Thanks to both of you for such quick replies! I tried Hagop's and it did the
job. JoAnn, I'll be keeping your method also for future reference.
I certainly appreciate the help - you've saved me lots of data entry time!
Just gotta love this community~~~

"Blue Bunny" wrote in message
I have a list of addresses in a Word document which I would like to put
into
Excel.
It's a simple list of names & address:

Jane Jones
101 My Way
MyCity, NC 22222

Paul Joyner
202 His Way
HisCity, NC 33333

I need to have it in an Excel format with the following columns:
First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Is there a way to do this???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While the essential mechanism is covered in
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm it can be a little
tricky to resolve the firstname lastname issue especially if you have names
that have more than two parts eg Paul Joyner Snr. or William Van Damme