Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
micropood micropood is offline

Default problem with page numbers

Hi, I have a document that I want other people to be able to use as a
template. It needs to have 3 different page number styles: pages without
numbers, pages with roman numerals, and pages with Arabic numbers, all in the
same document. People who use the template need to be able to choose whether
to put the numbers in the header or footer. I've inserted section breaks
the same as previous.

I am trying to insert the page numbers by clicking in the header or footer,
and then using the Insert menu to insert and format the page number. When I
insert the roman page numbers in section 2, header or footer, everything is
fine. When I insert the Arabic number in section 3, sometimes it appears, and
sometimes it doesn't. For instance, if I am putting the numbers in the
footer, then everything is fine in section 2, but, in section 3, the numbers
don't appear. In section 3, I have to insert a character or tab before I
insert the page number, and then it will appear.

The procedure needs to be consistent. Can anyone explain what is going wrong
and what I should do?

Please note: because this is for people who are not necessarily very
familiar with Word, I would like to use menus commands, not field codes.

Thanks for any ideas/clarifications.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For general principles, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm. For this to
work as a template, you'll need at least three sections to begin with.

"micropood" wrote in message
Hi, I have a document that I want other people to be able to use as a
template. It needs to have 3 different page number styles: pages without
numbers, pages with roman numerals, and pages with Arabic numbers, all in
the
same document. People who use the template need to be able to choose
whether
to put the numbers in the header or footer. I've inserted section breaks
*not*
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
micropood micropood is offline

Thanks. Yes, I have set up the three different sections. The three headers
and footers are also not "same as previous." I think the only way I can
figure to do this is to advise people to use the Header/Footer toolbar; the
Insert menu just doesn't seem to work consistently, unless someone can guess
where I'm going wrong.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

"micropood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Don't even think about using Insert | Page Numbers. But in your
three-section template, you should have the page numbering already set up
for users: no numbers in Section 1, roman numerals in Section 2, and arabic
in Section 3.

"micropood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
micropood micropood is offline

Thanks! I had set up the formatting, but, for some reason, had no confidence
that the document would maintain it, which was silly reasoning on my part.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who finds Insert-Page Numbers the
wrong choice. Thanks again for your help--this makes total sense and clears
up everything.