Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twishlist Twishlist is offline

Default keeping TOC & Index as separate updates, in separate sections

When I update the Index (made of of bookmarks) the TOC (Heading from Outline)
automatically updates as well and joins to the top column 1 of the index.
I am able to update TOC without if effecting the Index, but not the other
way around. If I click on the index, the shading takes inthe TOC (separated
by a section break) as well.
How do I ensure that the TOC & the Index work as as separate & distinct
items in the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

TOCs have a regrettable tendency to gobble up paragraph breaks following
them. Make sure there's at least one empty paragraph (several more may be
required) between the TOC and the "index."

"Twishlist" wrote in message
When I update the Index (made of of bookmarks) the TOC (Heading from
Outline)
automatically updates as well and joins to the top column 1 of the index.
I am able to update TOC without if effecting the Index, but not the other
way around. If I click on the index, the shading takes inthe TOC
(separated
by a section break) as well.
How do I ensure that the TOC & the Index work as as separate & distinct
items in the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Word Angel Word Angel is offline

On Jan 20, 5:53*pm, Twishlist
wrote:
When I update the Index (made of of bookmarks) the TOC (Heading from Outline)
automatically updates as well and joins to the top column 1 of the index.
I am able to update TOC without if effecting the Index, but not the other
way around. *If I click on the index, the shading takes inthe TOC (separated
by a section break) as well.
How do I ensure that the TOC & the Index work as as separate & distinct
items in the document?

Turn on your paragraph marker so you can see if there is a paragraph
mark separating the TOC and the Index. If there is, highlight that
paragraph and clear the formatting from it.
If there isn't a paragraph mark, hit enter after the last line of the
TOC and then clear the formatting.

Word 2003: Edit clear formats
Word 2007: Home tab Font group Clear formatting button (two letter
A's with a piece of chalk)

Hope that helps!

Angel Bivins

www.wordangel.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twishlist Twishlist is offline

I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before. Help

"Word Angel" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:53 pm, Twishlist
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the paragraph marks are all inside the shaded area when you select the
TOC, then they're all inside the field. Press Alt+F9 to display the field
code (and field braces). Place the insertion point after the last paragraph
mark and press the Right Arrow key to get out of the field, then press Enter
a couple times more and see if that helps. If the Index is also a field and
the Right Arrow key takes you into that field, then I don't know what to
suggest.

"Twishlist" wrote in message
I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still
consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before.
Help

"Word Angel" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:53 pm, Twishlist
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twishlist Twishlist is offline

Alt+F9 displayed the shaded areas of both the TOC & Index, with unshaded
paragraph marks inbetween. I used the R arrow key anyway as you advised,
inserted at last paragraph mark in the TOC, and pressed Enter twice more,
without entering into the shaded area of the Index. I then placed the cursor
in the shaded Index area and R clicked to update field, which updated the
index and incorporated the TOC into the first column of the Index, as before.
I then placed cursor on the update TOC option on the Outline toolbar hoping
it would still update as a separate entity, but a dialogue box advised that
the doc didn't have a TOC. doe this give you any more clues?

"Twishlist" wrote in message
I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still
consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before.
Help

"Word Angel" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:53 pm, Twishlist
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twishlist Twishlist is offline

I should have added that after following the procedure described in previous
response, if I updated the TOC from the outline toolbar first, the TOC (only)
updated fine. Problem only occurs if I attempt to update the Index.

"Twishlist" wrote in message
I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still
consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before.
Help

"Word Angel" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:53 pm, Twishlist
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds to me as if you have inserted the TOC field inside the Index
field. Do you see two field braces at the beginning of the Index field? In
any case, the only thing I can suggest at this point is that you delete both
fields, insert numerous empty paragraphs, and reinsert both fields,
separated by several empty paragraph marks!

"Twishlist" wrote in message
I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still
consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before.
Help

"Word Angel" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:53 pm, Twishlist
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Twishlist Twishlist is offline

I deleted the entire TOC, added some returns above the Index (and cleared any
formatting they contained, just in case). Redid the TOC and bingo, it works.
Can now update each separately and the index keeps it's R aligned formatting
as an added bonus. Thank you both for your assistance...very much
appreciated.

"Twishlist" wrote in message
I know have six returns (as per Suzanne's suggestion) between the TOC &
Index, & have cleared formats on all. Updating the Index now still
consumes
the TOC. The shaded area covers both the TOC & the Index, as before.
Help