Jim Robinson

Default MS Word

I have MS Word 2002 and I'm thinking about getting a
newer version. I'm a little confused about how I should
do this. There is MS Works Suite, MS Office, etc. Also
I saw some used MS Works Suite 2004 on Amazon.com; Should
I consider buying Works used?

Jim
Charles Kenyon

Unless there is something in Word 2003 (the latest version) that you want, I
don't know why you would upgrade. Last I heard, the version of Word in the
Works Suite is Word 2002 (XP) so it wouldn't be a change for you at all.

Charles Kenyon

"Jim Robinson" wrote in message
I have MS Word 2002 and I'm thinking about getting a
newer version. I'm a little confused about how I should
do this. There is MS Works Suite, MS Office, etc. Also
I saw some used MS Works Suite 2004 on Amazon.com; Should
I consider buying Works used?

Jim

As Charles says, even if you get Works Suite 2005, you'd still be getting
Word 2002. In order to get Word 2003, you'd have to spend a good bit more
for freestanding Word or for Office Standard. If you are a student or
teacher, you can get Office 2003 Standard for Students and Teachers for a
reasonable price, but really Word 2003 doesn't offer many new features that
would be of interest to ordinary users.

"Jim Robinson" wrote in message
I have MS Word 2002 and I'm thinking about getting a
newer version. I'm a little confused about how I should
do this. There is MS Works Suite, MS Office, etc. Also
I saw some used MS Works Suite 2004 on Amazon.com; Should
I consider buying Works used?

Jim

TF

To qualify for Students and Teachers Office version, you only need a Teacher
or Student to live in your home. You can install it and activate it on up to
three computers or laptops. You may continue to use it even if your student
stops being a student. Its drawback is that it doesn't qualify for UPGRADE
versions.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: As Charles says, even if you get Works Suite 2005, you'd still be getting
: Word 2002. In order to get Word 2003, you'd have to spend a good bit more
: for freestanding Word or for Office Standard. If you are a student or
: teacher, you can get Office 2003 Standard for Students and Teachers for a
: reasonable price, but really Word 2003 doesn't offer many new features
that
: would be of interest to ordinary users.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Jim Robinson" wrote in message
: ...
: I have MS Word 2002 and I'm thinking about getting a
: newer version. I'm a little confused about how I should
: do this. There is MS Works Suite, MS Office, etc. Also
: I saw some used MS Works Suite 2004 on Amazon.com; Should
: I consider buying Works used?
:
: Jim
:

TF

Amedee

My interpretation of the conditions is that it (S&T edition) may be
installed on up to 3 PCs in the household (including any laptops that may be
taken to/from work or college). If you live with your parents (or vice
versa), then their computer may be one of the three. If they live in a
different house, then they don't qualify.

If you think that is complicated, you should try out reading the rest of
Microsoft Licensing! I've done a course with MS and I still have to pull out
the documentation to clarify the rules.

Terry

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
: TF shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:
:
: To qualify for Students and Teachers Office version, you only need a
: Teacher or Student to live in your home. You can install it and
: activate it on up to three computers or laptops. You may continue to
: use it even if your student stops being a student. Its drawback is
: that it doesn't qualify for UPGRADE versions.
:
: So, my wife is a teacher, in theory this means I could install Office
: on all 3 computers we have? (my doorstop, my swerver and her lapstop)
: Without breaking *any* license agreement?
: But I can't install it on the pc of my parents? How confusing.
:
: That's the problem: you always have to be VERY VERY careful before you
: install something: am I breaking a license here or not. Very confusing,
: these legal uncertainties. I prefer a more straightforward approach:
: download once, install anywhere. See siggie.
:
: --
: Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
: If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
:
: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
: How to Report Bugs Effectively
: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
: Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
: answer.
: http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
: o-answers.html

TF

You may continue to use the S&T licence even after the 'qualifying' person
has left home or is no longer eligible (finished education or changed jobs).

Terry

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
: TF shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:
:
: Amedee
:
: My interpretation of the conditions is that it (S&T edition) may be
: installed on up to 3 PCs in the household (including any laptops that
: may be taken to/from work or college). If you live with your parents
: (or vice versa), then their computer may be one of the three. If they
: live in a different house, then they don't qualify.
:
: Terry,
:
: Suppose the following not uncommon situation.
: One person in a household has a S&T license. There are 2 computers.
: It's OK to install Office on those two computers.
: The licensed person leaves the household to live on his/her own, taking
: one computer and leaving the other.
: From that moment on, the installation on the other computer would
: become unlicensed???
: *boggle*
:
: If you think that is complicated, you should try out reading the rest
: of Microsoft Licensing! I've done a course with MS and I still have
: to pull out the documentation to clarify the rules.
:
: I prefer licenses that tell you what you /are/ allowed to do over
: licenses that tell you what you are /not/ allowed to do. Alas, not
: everybody agrees...