Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Louis Louis is offline

Default reversing a merge

Hi there,

I created mailing labels from records in word, and now want to use them
again.The problem is, the recipient list is greyed out and I can't access the
data source either. All I want to be able to do is go backwards in word doc
and edit the recipient list, but the document is behaving as though it wants
to start a new list altogether. I really hope I didn't lose those records --
how do I access them?
--
Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When you set up a mail merge, you have a "Mail Merge Main Document" that is
connected to a "Data Source". In this case it sounds as if you created the
data source from within Word. If you are using Word 2002 or later, this file
will be in "Office Address List" format in a file with a .mdb extension.

When you perform the merge with a document as the destination, Word creates
a new document that is /not/ connected to the data source, but the Mail
Merge Main Doument should be left open, connected to the data source, until
you close it.

It is possible that if you did not understand that, you deleted the Mail
Merge Main Document or closed it without saving its layout and data source.
If so, your best bet is probably to create a new mail merge main document,
then attach it to the existing data source (the chances are that the .mdb
file will be in your Data Sources or My Documents folder - if not, use
Windows Explorer to search for .mdb files last modified today). Then make
sure you save the main document before closing it.

Peter Jamieson
"Louis" wrote in message
Hi there,

I created mailing labels from records in word, and now want to use them
again.The problem is, the recipient list is greyed out and I can't access
the
data source either. All I want to be able to do is go backwards in word
doc
and edit the recipient list, but the document is behaving as though it
wants
to start a new list altogether. I really hope I didn't lose those
records --
how do I access them?
--
Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

Louis wrote:
Hi there,

I created mailing labels from records in word, and now want to use
them again.The problem is, the recipient list is greyed out and I
can't access the data source either. All I want to be able to do is
go backwards in word doc and edit the recipient list, but the
document is behaving as though it wants to start a new list
altogether. I really hope I didn't lose those records -- how do I
access them?

Reversing the Index Lay out ash1346 Microsoft Word Help 2 September 5th 06 10:05 PM
reversing "Last, first" in mail merge from one data source field Plum3pc Mailmerge 2 August 27th 06 06:51 AM
Reversing word order - is it possible? Bert Coules New Users 2 August 22nd 06 07:18 PM
Reversing <> Order CJ Mailmerge 1 January 5th 05 11:39 PM
Reversing order of document - Word 2002 Gordon New Users 1 December 13th 04 02:34 PM