undercovercopster

Default word locks up computer

Did you ever find a solution? I have had the same problem with word, have
tried pretty much everything you tried & still same problem. I wonder if it
all started when I installed the service pack 2 update. (????) That was back
in October, but have had problems ever since. Mine is Word 2000 from
Microsoft WorksSuite 2001 w/ XP operating sys. Sure wish I could use your
login name.

"****ed off user" wrote:

Suddenly whenever I try to use word the computer totally locks up and has to
be rebooted. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled office 2003, gone into
the registry and deleted keys office 8, and office 10 ( kind of weird no 9
huh?), and as a last gasp cleared out normal.dot to no avail. I kind of like
word but right now I am to ****ed off to even think straight. Why is
Microsoft software always so damn buggy?
--
hope this thing will finally work

If you are not starting Word using the Works Task Launcher, uninstall the
Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word. Even if this doesn't solve your
immediate problem, it will free you from a lot of other annoyances. If you
are still having problems, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"undercovercopster" wrote in
message ...

"****ed off user" wrote:

Suddenly whenever I try to use word the computer totally locks up and

has to
be rebooted. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled office 2003, gone

into
the registry and deleted keys office 8, and office 10 ( kind of weird no

9
huh?), and as a last gasp cleared out normal.dot to no avail. I kind of

like
word but right now I am to ****ed off to even think straight. Why is
Microsoft software always so damn buggy?
--
hope this thing will finally work

undercovercopster

Okay, I've tried all of the steps in the microsoft "Problems Opening Word
Content" file. Didn't help. It is not the Normal.dot template or Word's
Startup path. They must not be corrupt, according to the steps I've taken per
instructions. Not Adobe Acrobat Reader either.(I upgraded to 7.0) The thing
is, I can type a word, a paragraph & sometimes 1/2 a page before it locks up.
There doesn't seem to be a pattern, but once it starts locking up, it locks
up FASTER the next time. I uninstalled the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for
Word. HELP ME!!!!!

"****ed off user" wrote:

Suddenly whenever I try to use word the computer totally locks up and has to
be rebooted. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled office 2003, gone into
the registry and deleted keys office 8, and office 10 ( kind of weird no 9
huh?), and as a last gasp cleared out normal.dot to no avail. I kind of like
word but right now I am to ****ed off to even think straight. Why is
Microsoft software always so damn buggy?
--
hope this thing will finally work

undercovercopster

I just had hp check for driver updates/problems on my printer. They say it
checks out okay. I tried to follow the instructions on the problems page you
suggested, and think I'm okay...looks like my printer is a locally
installed...because the title bar just shows the "printername". (Is that what
it should show?) I read somewhere, that you should uninstall printer before
you update your operating system, and then reinstall driver. I did not do
this when I downloaded service packs for MS and that is in the neighborhood
of when this problem started. Could that be the problem & how do I know?
(Please answer in simple terms....I'm trying to grasp this, but some of it is
way over my head.)

"****ed off user" wrote:

Suddenly whenever I try to use word the computer totally locks up and

has to
be rebooted. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled office 2003,

gone into
the registry and deleted keys office 8, and office 10 ( kind of weird

no 9
huh?), and as a last gasp cleared out normal.dot to no avail. I kind

of like
word but right now I am to ****ed off to even think straight. Why is
Microsoft software always so damn buggy?
--
hope this thing will finally work

I don't know much more about this than you do, but I'd suggest deleting and
reinstalling the printer using the most up-to-date driver you can get.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you eliminated the printer as a source of trouble?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"undercovercopster" wrote

in
message ...

"****ed off user" wrote:

Suddenly whenever I try to use word the computer totally locks up

and
has to
be rebooted. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled office 2003,

gone into
the registry and deleted keys office 8, and office 10 ( kind of

weird
no 9
huh?), and as a last gasp cleared out normal.dot to no avail. I

kind
of like
word but right now I am to ****ed off to even think straight. Why

is
Microsoft software always so damn buggy?
--
hope this thing will finally work

undercovercopster

Okay, I have tried everything now, except, I went in & thought I'd try a Disk
Cleanup. It came back & said {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} is
damaged. Size 4KB, created 12/14/03,last accessed today, type:ActiveXcontrol,
and code base: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x89....blah blah
blah. Any computer gurus know if perhaps one of the new updates screwed this
old update up & maybe that is my problem???? HOW DO I GET SOME HELP W/ THIS???