Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sondra Sondra is offline

Default Need Helping Creating Mailmerge File

I have a letter that I want to merge with an records from an Access database.
I have no problem creating the fields for the mailmerge; however, I need to
be able to have the file stop at certain locations within the letter to enter
miscellaneous data. I have tried the Fillin field and also the Ask field,
but for some reason it isn't working.

Then I learned about User forms and wondered if I could mail merge with a
userfield.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to create a mailmerge and have a Userform for the
miscellaneous fields?

2. Why would my ask fields not be working? The prompts pop up, but nothing
merges into the letter.

Any help would be great.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

An ASK field merely prompts for information to be entered in a bookmark. To
insert the content of a bookmark, you need a REF field.

Sondra wrote:
I have a letter that I want to merge with an records from an Access
database. I have no problem creating the fields for the mailmerge;
however, I need to be able to have the file stop at certain locations
within the letter to enter miscellaneous data. I have tried the
Fillin field and also the Ask field, but for some reason it isn't
working.

Then I learned about User forms and wondered if I could mail merge
with a userfield.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to create a mailmerge and have a Userform for the
miscellaneous fields?

2. Why would my ask fields not be working? The prompts pop up, but
nothing merges into the letter.

Any help would be great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
albert albert is offline

One thing you can do to solve your problem is creating one or more columns on
your database which include the miscelaneous data. If for a given recipient
there is no miscelaneous data, then leave it empty for that record. That way
you won't have to make the merge stop at a given point.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can use a fill-in field in the mailmerge main document for this purpose,
making use of one or more of the merge fields to display sufficient
information about the record that is being merged so that you will be able
to determine what information you need to enter. The field construction
would be as follows:

{ FILLIN { MERGEFIELD "fieldname" } }

You must use Ctrl + F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you
use Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

When you execute this merge, a dialog box will appear with a prompt that
will include the data from the Merge field and a space into which you can
insert the miscellaneous data

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Sondra wrote:
I have a letter that I want to merge with an records from an Access
database. I have no problem creating the fields for the mailmerge;
however, I need to be able to have the file stop at certain locations
within the letter to enter miscellaneous data. I have tried the
Fillin field and also the Ask field, but for some reason it isn't
working.

Then I learned about User forms and wondered if I could mail merge
with a userfield.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to create a mailmerge and have a Userform for the
miscellaneous fields?

2. Why would my ask fields not be working? The prompts pop up, but
nothing merges into the letter.

Any help would be great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you respond to an ASK field the response is stored in a bookmark. That
bookmark content does not appear in the document by itself. To place the
content of a bookmark you would insert a REF field {REF Bookmarkname}.
It is possible to have that bookmark available to all records by using an \o
switch or prompt for a new one for each record - see word help under ASK

Mailmerge template stephen Mailmerge 8 August 18th 06 02:19 PM
Can't get Word 2003 to keep data file with mail merge main documen Yourcareercoach Mailmerge 9 August 10th 06 12:19 PM
Can I mailmerge using a Word .doc file Neil Mailmerge 4 June 20th 06 06:41 AM
How can I hide comments from others without creating a new file? Rtrudeau Microsoft Word Help 2 March 13th 06 10:08 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM