Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf

Default format text

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

Sf,
Don't know of any means to increase the space between words. Adjust the
space between the letters of a word is possible though.
If you are having problems with justify align which produces more space
between words, I would suggest to hypenate the words which will reduce the
space being added.
Luc Sanders (MVP - Powerpoint)

"sf" schreef in bericht
news

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChelseaWarren

You could highlight the space between the words and change the font size of
the space. I don't know if you mean to change the space between many words
or just one. If you intend this for many words, change the font for the
first space (eg 16 points), then immediately select the next space and hit
the Repeat key (F4). It's probably not very efficent but it works.

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

If you do that, it will change the line spacing for that line of text
though.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Another approach would be to search for spaces and replace them with
expanded spaces. To do this, type a space into the "Find what" box and a
space into the "Replace with" box. Expand the dialog (More) and, with the
insertion point in the "Replace with" box, select Format | Font. On the
Character Spacing tab, choose Spacing: Expanded by whatever amount you have
determined (by previous trial and error) to be the desirable amount, then
OK. Replace All.

This will be a very slow replace operation, I suspect. I'm sure someone
could provide a macro that would do it more quickly. One thing that might
make it somewhat faster would be to use ^w (White Space) in the "Find what"
box and ^& (Find What Text) in the "Replace with" box.

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChelseaWarren

With a row of text in 12 font and changing the font of the spaces to 18 the
line spacing stayed at Single. It would change the line spacing if any of
the characters themselves were made larger. Just change the font size of the
spaces between words.

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

How about using En Spaces that can be inserted via the InsertSymbol dialog
and selecting the Special Characters tab.

If you insert one, and then select it and use Ctrl+C to copy it to the
clipboard, then use EditReplace and put an ordinary space (spacebar) into
the Find what control and then move to the Replace with control and press
Ctrl+V, the En Space will be pasted into that control and when you use
Replace All, all of the spaces will be replaced with En Spaces.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
news

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Have you actually tried this? Single-spaced 12-point text uses less space
that single-spaced 18-point text. Spaces count as text when Word is
measuring line height, is my guess. (I haven't tried it either.)

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would probably advise against this. Word seems to covertly use MS Mincho
for the en spaces, and they tend to be unstable. I use en and em spaces a
lot, but I would strongly resist having a document filled with them.

How about using En Spaces that can be inserted via the InsertSymbol

dialog
and selecting the Special Characters tab.

If you insert one, and then select it and use Ctrl+C to copy it to the
clipboard, then use EditReplace and put an ordinary space (spacebar) into
the Find what control and then move to the Replace with control and press
Ctrl+V, the En Space will be pasted into that control and when you use
Replace All, all of the spaces will be replaced with En Spaces.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message
news

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:13:05 +0100, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

How about using En Spaces that can be inserted via the InsertSymbol dialog
and selecting the Special Characters tab.

Unfortunately they seem larger than what I was hoping for. En space
looks like it equals 3 traditional spaces and em space equals 5. Is
there an advantage for using an em or en space over 3 or 5 traditional
ones?

If you insert one, and then select it and use Ctrl+C to copy it to the
clipboard, then use EditReplace and put an ordinary space (spacebar) into
the Find what control and then move to the Replace with control and press
Ctrl+V, the En Space will be pasted into that control and when you use
Replace All, all of the spaces will be replaced with En Spaces.

I already use find/replace to change a single space into two, so I'm
onboard with that. What I want to create is more like a 1.5 space
because I want to emphasize, but not exaggerate, the spacing between
words.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

I didn't have Word open. Thanks for letting me know.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It takes about two second to test this and confirm that changing the point
size of a space does not change the line spacing.

so
all may benefit.

"sf" wrote:

How do I increase the space between words but keep it less than 2
spaces?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:15:11 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Actually an en space is the width of a capital N and usually about two
normal spaces. An em space (width of a capital M) is usually about three.

Well, now I know better. Before I posted, I turned on formatting and
used lower case n as the test letter - hence the 3 & 5 numbers.
Again, is there an advantage to using an en or em space over regular
spaces?

So, there is no way to make a space of 1.5?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:15:35 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Read my previous suggestion for expanding the spaces. If you wanted to
expand them to 1.5 you could also use Format | Font | Character Spacing:
Scale 150%.

That's right, thanks for the pointer! The macro part lost me.