Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kokomojo

Default File Search using the asterisk (*) wildcard

I have several files that begin with two (2) numbers and then the text
NewYork, such as 14NewYork.doc and several files that begin with one (1)
letter, then two (2) numbers, then the text New York.

The Property is "File Name" and the Condition is "includes."

When I search with *NewYork, nothing comes up.

When I do a File Search with ?NewYork, I get the desired results.

If I search for *NewYork.doc, (I include the file extension), it works. If
Is earch for Alaska.*, it works.

How come the File Search doesn't work with just *NewYork?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The wildcard search *New York looks for a string that ends with New York.
You need *New York* or New York without the wildcard.