Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PMKardon

Default Can not find saved Word document

I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE 6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AEA

When you opened the attached file it was put into one of many temporary
folders used to save pages you've visited and downloaded files. If you
remember the name of the file you saved your can use your computers search
feature to find it. You can get to search by using the start button and then
use search for files/folders folders setting.

Hope this helps.
--
AEA

"PMKardon" wrote:

I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE 6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

This experience illustrates why you should not open documents directly from
email messages. The file is opened and saved in a temporary hidden folder.
It *may* still be available.

Open the attachment with Word again and then File save as. Word will
attempt to save it in the same temporary folder. Don't save the file, but
instead locate that folder and see if the file is still present.

In future always save attachments to the hard drive *before* opening them.

PMKardon wrote:
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and
clicked Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click
Save As, and noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can
not find the file. I have tried this a few times, and get different
directories listed, always within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6,
IE 6, Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Open the original from the email, and do a SaveAs. That may default to the
same folder that you used the first time.

"PMKardon" wrote in message
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the
file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE
6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PMKardon

I did try that, but could not find the document. Even searching through the
system and hidden files, I still can not find the document, or the temporary
directory (directory name that came up when I reopened the attachment and
clicked Save As).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
--
Patricia Kardon

"PMKardon" wrote:

I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE 6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PMKardon

I did try that, but could not find the saved document. I still have trouble
even locating the directory name that was shown, even when using Search
(including hidden and system files). I can find the parent directory. It has
several files, but no folders, even though the Save As shows a directory
within.

Thanks,
--
Patricia Kardon

PMKardon wrote:
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and
clicked Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click
Save As, and noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can
not find the file. I have tried this a few times, and get different
directories listed, always within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6,
IE 6, Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If when you attempt 'save as' the file is not in the folder that pops up,
then it is no longer available. If it is there, you could right click and
copy then move to a document folder and paste it.

PMKardon wrote:
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and
clicked Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click
Save As, and noted the directory to which it was saved, but still
can not find the file. I have tried this a few times, and get
different directories listed, always within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express
6, IE 6, Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

This is one reason, of many reasons, to not open attachments directly from
email. Save the attachment to a regular location from the email, then open
it from that location. It is saved in a temporary folder, which is probably
marked as a hidden system folder on your computer. Try opening it again from
Word, using SaveAs to save it to something in My Documents, and then you
should be able to find it.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"PMKardon" wrote in message
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the
file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE
6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The Temp folder in which you saved your document is just that, a temporary
folder. It gets cleaned out regularly by your operating system (or at least
it should.)
--

"PMKardon" wrote in message
I opened a Word document that was emailed to me. I modified it and clicked
Save. Now I can not find it. I tried to open it again, click Save As, and
noted the directory to which it was saved, but still can not find the
file. I
have tried this a few times, and get different directories listed, always
within a Contents.IE5 folder.

I know I saved it, but where can it be? I am using Outlook Express 6, IE
6,
Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

--
Patricia Kardon

Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 39 April 19th 06 06:35 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM