Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sal

Default Adding Same Caption (numbered) to two Tables

Hello.

Is it possible to insert the same caption for two tables?
Actually, I have 2 tables Table 1.1.A and Table 1.1.B and I need to insert
the caption for both of them.

Currently my Caption is tied to Heading Level 1, which creates the 'Table
1.1' Part.
I would now like to add the 'A' and 'B' portion at the end of the caption
level. All subsequent tables would need to follow in the Table 1.2, Table 1.3
etc format.

How do I do this?

I am a newcomer to this site, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Sal
--
Gainesville, Fl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sal

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your quick response.

If I understand correctly, this is how it work:

I insert the first caption, which would be 'Table 1.1' and then type the 'A'
and rest of the label.

Next, I insert the second caption, which by default would be 'Table 1.2'.
Now, I cross-reference this caption to the fisrt caption, and then change
its label accordingly. The second caption will now read: Table 1.1 B....

I did a quick trial run and this seems to work. Does this create any
unforseen errors when I build a List of Tables later on? Any other issues I
should be aware of?

Thanks again.

Sal
--
Gainesville, Fl

"Sal" wrote in message
Hello.

Is it possible to insert the same caption for two tables?
Actually, I have 2 tables Table 1.1.A and Table 1.1.B and I need to insert
the caption for both of them.

Currently my Caption is tied to Heading Level 1, which creates the 'Table
1.1' Part.
I would now like to add the 'A' and 'B' portion at the end of the caption
level. All subsequent tables would need to follow in the Table 1.2, Table

1.3
etc format.

How do I do this?

I am a newcomer to this site, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Sal
--
Gainesville, Fl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm guessing that the List of Tables would have to be based on the specific
style used for the captions. A Table of Figures, unless based on a specific
style, may collect just the captions that have been inserted with an actual
caption label, as opposed to cross-references (if that makes sense). Since I
rarely use these features, I'm afraid I'm less knowledgeable than I should
be. I'd suggest a quick trial run (perhaps in a copy of the doc) to see how
the TOC will perform.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Would a cross-reference to the text of the first caption work?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sal

Suzanne,

I did a trial as you suggested and everything seemed to work fine.

However, I think I got carried away in my excitement, and failed to notice
that the TOC was not being built right.

You were correct in saying that the TOC was collecting only 'Captions' and
not the cross-references.

I tried this in two ways:
1. Under list of figures, if I select 'Table' from the caption label drop
down box, then only the tables that have been built with the 'Caption'
inserted are generated. ie in my case...shows only Table 1.1A

2. If I select the 'Options' and click on 'Buil from Caption' then all my
tables and figures in the entire document are included in the same TOC!
(which of course is not what I want...I want only the tables.)

How do I get around this? Please help!!!

Sal
--
Gainesville, Fl

"Sal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used a specific style for the table titles (you don't have to
use the Caption style just because that's what Word uses), then you can
build a TOC or TOF based on just that style. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm